I am insured by a different car insurance company than my parents are. Am I still allowed to drive their cars?

Ok so 2 years ago I got my drivers license suspended for drinking and driving. Not a DUI, but still kinda a big deal since I was only 16 at the time. I was insured by Mercury on my parents plan at the time, but after that incident they obviously stopped insuring me. After a year, I went to reinstate my car insurance but I had to do so with a different company. Then I went to the DMV and got my liscence back. Apparently my parents are now not allowed to drive my car and I am not allowed to drive theirs. I want to know though, am I allowed to drive their car if its just a one-time thing? I mean, people let other people drive their cars all the time as long as both parties are insured. Its almost prom and I want to know if I can drive my parents suburban instead of my truck. I pay a lot for my new insurance (obviously, given the circumstances) and my parents also pay a lot for theirs. Shouldn't I be able to drive my moms car for one night since I am an insured driver and she is too?

• Mark J
    Favorite Answer

it all depends on the details of the insurance you, and / or your parents have

some insuracne is for a specified driver for a specifed car, some is for a specified driver on any car, some a specified car for any permitted driver, some insurance is any driver and car (the latter usually being for commercial / company owned cars).

I guess you parents took you off their policy when you had you D&D conviction when you lost your licence and either they do not want to pay the premium for you to reinstate that cover or their insurers wont touch you..

so if you are not covered on their policy then you will need to check your own policies details. many policies allow you drive other vehicles (however they often limit the amount of cover (eg thrid party, ie don't cover the cost of damage to the vehicle you are borrowing). you need to check with whoever issues the insuranmce to find out what you are covered for, whether they coiver you for driving someone else's car and so on.

1

Source(s): Amazing Auto Insurance Quotes : http://AutoInsurance.trustdd.com/?nQig
  • Scouse

Not quite so easy.

1. If your own insurance allows you to drive other cars it will only be a third party risk. This means that if you have an accident in which it is deemed that you are at fault, your insurance will pay for the damage to the third party's car but not the one (your parent's car) you are driving.

2. If you are named on your parents insurance or your parents insurance is for any driver assuming that their policy is fully comprehensive, you will be covered by your parents insurance.

You must read the policies do not assume any hing until you have it clear in your mind. If in doubt talk to your insurance company and get your parents to talk to theirs. You can not afford to take risks. The claim I only ever drove the car once is no excuse for not driving with insurance. The drink driving insurance penalties will last for about ten years. (I speak from UK and I do not see USA being that much different )

I think that you in fact answered your own question and you know you can not do that which you propose and that you are trying to find a clever way out. I assure you that there is none other than to persuade insurers to cover you

Blimey there is some bad advice amongst these answers! The cover you are looking for is generally called a 'driving other vehicles' extension. It does not matter whether you are third party or fully comp, typically if you qualify you get the cover. Normal criteria for qualifying for the extension are age related (unusual to qualify if under 25) and occupation related (unusual to get it if in motor trade / driving trade). The only way to know is check your certificate of insurance - Where it lists your reg number it will typically tell you if you have insurance to drive other cars. If unsure, call your company. Just be wary then of the criteria for driving. The other car needs to be taxed, MOTd and insured in someone elses name and of course you have to have their permission. Plus remember if you damage the car, you have no ability to claim!

Yes. Insurance is on the vehicle not on the persons driving the car, unless your parents have an exclusion on their policy. This is really easy to find out. Either find the first page of the policy (called the Declarations Page) and read it to see if it lists any exclusions or if your parents aren't sure where their policy is they can just call their company and ask if there are any exclusions on their policy for other drivers.

Hope that helps and have fun at prom!!!

Nope, you are an excluded driver. If you got only a ticket (no matter what the reason was) your parents could be canceled for allowing you to drive the vehicle. This happend to my Mom when my Step-dad got a DUI. She signed papers that he would not drive her vehicle, even though he had his own insurance. Beware of those who tell you that the insurance covers the vehicle and not the driver. It is not true for all companies.

You say...

"Apparently my parents are now not allowed to drive my car and I am not allowed to drive theirs. "

But... generally...

It's the car that is insured, not the driver.

Your mom does not pay so "she" can be insured, but her car.

So technically even if you where not insured you could drive her car legally. It's only her insurance for her car that matters.

Your mother/father can let ANYONE with a valid license drive there car, for as long and as many times as you want.

The idea is that if someone is REGULARLY using your car (say that you moved in with your parents and started driving there car PRIMARILY) AND this person using it does NOT have an insurance policy then they should be added.

Uninsured drivers can drive insured cars.

On the other hand if you've had your license taken away obviously you cannot drive any car, for any reason.

Source(s): Insurance Company Sources: http://www.filife.com/answers/can-i-be-insured-if-... Not the most reliable source, but this "Google'd Up" resource agrees with me.

My guess is that your parents signed an exclusion to keep their insurance. They agreed that their insurance doesn't have to pay if you have an accident in their car.

So if you have an accident you will have to pay for all of the damage and if you can't pay your parents could be sued if they gave you permission to drive their car knowing you were an excluded driver.

That all depends on your parents insurance policies.You may be able to legally drive their cars but as for being insured to drive their cars is another story.

Well, what does your insurance certificate say? If that does not specifically permit you to drive any car then you cannot drive your mothers car. Simple.