can i get a tattoo numbed before getting it done?

i dont take pain at all well.

Yes you can get the cream that numbs the skin before having a tattoo.

I had my first tattoo on my wrist and i was terrified of the pain. I was told about a product called Ametop that is a skin numbing cream that you put on before the tattoo. I have no pain threshold either and knew i couldn't handle the pain of a tattoo, but have wanted one for years.

I was very sceptical at first so bought a tube to try before the tattoo. It's a VERY small tube that you pay for but it covers a decent amount of skin. You put it onto the area you want numbing, spread it around but DO NOT rub it in. Then cover the area with clingfilm and leave it along for one hour. Now it'll probably start to itch alittle, this is totally normal. After the hour, take off the clingfilm and wipe off any excess cream. The skin might be red and slightly raised, but try pinching it hard and you shouldnt be able to feel anything. If you're brave enough, prick the area with a pin and if you can't feel it you should be fine for a tattoo.

I did this when i had my first tattoo and i couldnt feel a thing. I was so scared and so nervous, but the Ametop worked wonders. My tattooist was totally fine with me using it, it didn't affect the tattoo/ink/skin in any negative way at all and he had no problems tattooing my skin. Infact he used some on himself when he had his ribs tattooed, thats how i first found out about it.

I'd say the numbness lasted atleast 4 hours and seen as though my tattoo only took 3 minutes to do, it more than lasted long enough for me!! Its probably not advisable for massive tattoos as it wouldnt last long enough.

I think if you can lessen/cut out the pain in anyway then go for it, why suffer unneccassarily?? Yes pain is part of a tattoo, but it doesn't have to be if you chose to use something like Ametop. It doesn't make you a wimp so ignore those who say it does, thats ridiculous.

You can buy it online (very expensive) or try your local pharmacy. They may have to order it in but mine arrived within two days and only cost £1.80 per tube. You will need 2-3 tubes or maybe more if you're having a larger tattoo, but a small one should only need one tube. And just check with your tattooist before using it as some won't tattoo skin that had been numbed, some will and some tattooist havent even heard of it!!

Good luck and enjoy!! xx

Sorry had to add this: "Nothing will numb the skin"??? (as one person has said??) That's just stupid, how about when Emla cream or Ametop cream is used to numb the skin prior to injections/IV's in hospitals??? It is PERFECTLY SAFE as it is recommended by doctors and sold in all licensed pharmacies. If it wasn't safe it wouldn't be available through your GP or your local pharmacy. If it wasn't safe to use do you think it'd be used at all by health professionals??

Numbing Skin For Tattoo

I would advise you to not get a tattoo if you have that low a pain threshold! You'll make the tattooists life very difficult which could alter the appearance of the tattoo dramatically! The pain isn't that bad so you decide, do you want a good tattoo and just suck it up? A bad tattoo, where you go in with a negative mind set thinking it's going to really hurt, or no tattoo then you'll be sure not to feel any pain! Nothing will numb skin in order to have a tattoo! And anything you do find won't be safe, they usually thin blood which is obviously a bad idea when having a needle going into the tissue 1000's of times a minute!

Being skinny is not really gonna make that much of a difference unless its right over the bone. But that being said I found getting my tatt, that covered part of my calf muscle really painful.So everyone really is different,because just above my ankle was not so bad. The thing about numbing creams is yes they will work but if they stop working while the tatt is being done you can't stop to put more on and wait half an hour for it to start to work again. The process will be only more painful if that happens. Also, and this is from professional artists. the cream can make the skin feel different to untreated skin, like a lump of "dead meat" to the artist and make the job harder for them. That is not something I want to do to someone with a tattoo gun. I have never used numbing creams but I swear alot and use deep breathing to deal with it. It feels to me like a really bad sunburn when its being done. The more you think about it the more it will build up in your head. It is painful but bareable.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

i dont take pain at all well.

Source(s): tattoo numbed done: https://tr.im/nLEqt

How can you get a tattoo numbed before it's even there?

No, tattoo parlors don't use anything to numb the skin prior to a tattoo. If you want one so bad, suck it up and deal with it. Jeez...they don't hurt that much. It might be uncomfortable but they are not painful.

EMT

Nope. I've heard of people using OTC numbing cream, but it's really a bad idea. If it wears off before the tattoo is finished, then your body won't have had time to adjust to the pain. You could go into shock. It's best if you just suck it up. It won't last long and it really doesn't hurt that much. It's like hot sandpaper being rubbed against your skin.

Source(s): 19 tattoos

Do you mean can you get the part of your body numbed? No you can not. Tattoo artists are not anesthesiologists. If you seriously can't take pain well, then why are you getting a tattoo? It's a tattoo - of course it's going to be painful! Just grin and bear it or don't get one at all.

Hello, I own my own shop, and you can't have any area numbed, it will make your blood thin, and you cant have a tat or piercing when your blood is then, Trust me it isnt good, Tattoos arent all that bad, Good luck

They can rub or spray a little topical anesthetic on the skin, but it won't do much. The pain is part of the tattoo experience, it's like a rite of passage. Embrace it. =)

P.S. It hurts less on a flesh area (avoid bony areas like the tops of your feet).