Jaym
Jaym asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Best way to keep ticks off of my husky pup?

She has front line on her and we also have a spray that we put on her but she still got two ticks on her last weekend. Neither of the ticks bit into her we got them off before they had the chance. We are going up north again this weekend and are wondering if there is something else we can use to keep the ticks off of her. Thanks!

• Liz H

Frontline does not keep the Ticks from hitching a ride, but once they do the tick is in bad luck - the medication causes the mouth parts to become paralyzed so it crawls off to starve to death.

The ticks still creep me out so I do like to keep them out of my house and off my dog (and myself - yeew!). I keep a flea comb around for a quick comb out that finds even the tiny ticks. I also have a product by Zodiac called FleaTrol that sprays on puppies and kittens, it works very well.

OMG - I read the other replies. !/2 did not read the question, 30 lashes to them. Some gave some bad advise just due to lack of information. Many "natural" remedies are also poisonous - Bio-spot made my hardy Laborador very sick. Most over the counter meds do not work well compared to frontline. Fleatrol is mild enough for puppies, kittens and we even used it on baby squirrels we rehabed.

Best option for all is still the flea comb...

I am not a fan of the chemical products, but I do understand the need for them, especially in areas where the pests are abundant. Personally, I choose to search for herbal remedies for anything I can help prevent. But what a lot people don't understand is that many herbal remedies can be just as harmful if not administered properly. Garlic can be beneficial but only in very tiny amounts. Whole cloves have the potential to be dangerous. I bookmarked a site that has a few natural alternatives and it's been working great for my dog. I've been using it for a couple years now and even if it isn't 100% effective, the general health of my dog has improved. No matter what you choose to do, it is best to discuss it with your vet. http://www.gomestic.com/Pets/Natural-Flea-and-Tick...

We have used Frontline for years, but have found recently that it just doesn't work well.

You can give them whole cloves of garlic. Get a fresh head of garlic, break off a clove, crush it a little so it breaks open some and shove down the throat like you would give a pill.

It will get rid of fleas, ticks, worms etc.

If you read on the site, it also will talk about other ways of giving garlic from capsules to powder and the amount.

Good Luck

well i have a husky too and i KNOW what u doing thru...i went to food lion and got this stuff Hartz flea and tick spray.. and we just use that and the flea collar. also Hartz has a carpet powered you put down for and hour to 24 hours and it helps if ur pup got a flea so it wont spread them. it works cuz i had frontline to K9 advantix none of them worked untill the spary collar and powder

well, it could be your yard. you might have an infestation outside. get a spray from lowes. it's for all the bugs like, ants, fleas, ticks, mosquitos..everything. if u go up north just keep using the frontline if u havent put none on for this month.

• Nothing else should be used with frontline, it could be toxic to her. Over the counter flea and tick medications and baths can be extremely harmful. I've seen TONS of cases where this has happened. I wouldn't trust anything that didn't come from your Veterinarian.

Source(s): Me, a Veterinary Tech

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-remove-and-pre...

Those suckers are terrible this year. I have heard complaints in my grooming shop from people using all of fea/tick medicines.

Best thing I can tell you is to just keep checking for them. Try to keep your dogs away from tall grass and weeds and areas where wild animals frequent.

edit: Ashley you have got to be kidding-----a husky using peepads??

Thorough examinations after coming inside

I hate chemicals so I use natural remedies like (DILUTED with water!) peppermint oil, lemongrass oil, cinnamon oil, etc.

There's even a spray called "natural defense" made by Sentry that uses just natural essential oils & no harsh chemicals. It has a strong smell, but it works and I love not covering my dogs with harsh (and expensive) flea & tick preventatives!

Edit: Flea & tick collars are not effective and are DANGEROUS as are many over the counter harsh chemical sprays. For the love of dog, don't use them!

There's some drop stuff that you can buy to keep them of, ask you vet what is the best thing or call him.