Newborns and Dogs! My parents want me to get rid of my dog before the baby gets here! Advice?

My husband and I are currently 17 weeks pregnant and we are the owners of a very very hyper border collie. He just turned 1.

My parents are telling me to get rid of the dog because he could"crush the baby" "knock the baby over" etc. Our dog is not dangerous and there are plenty of families who have both children and dogs.

I love my dog to death, he is part of the family and I could not let him go, unless he was a real danger to our child. I have taken my dog to parks with children and he is really good with kids of all ages. Being hyper he could knock them down but he has NEVER been aggressive towards kids. He does tho, bark his head off and growl if someone goes on our porch but after a Hyper Greeting, and a few sniffs he settles down.

What is the best approach with our Dog when bringing a new baby into the home. I don't want to lock him away in another room or board him at a kennel.. Any suggestions?

At our hospital, we recommend getting the dog (cuz cats could care less) used to the new baby items - set up the crib a bit early, put the swing and diaper changing table up, unwrap the baby clothes and shower gifts, and get the dog used to new things. Then set the car seat down to your dogs level, even a couple outfits. After the baby is born, have your SO bring home a baby blanket with your new little ones scent and introduce your baby's scent to the dog first. Leave the blanket in the car seat, let your dog sniff around, get used to the scent. Then, when you finally bring your babe home, let the dog sniff you (no doubt she's missed you in the last couple days) and the baby together, sniff and get used to it all. That way your dog will be used to the clutter, the smells, the new stuff; everything but the pooping and crying. :) Good luck!

Source(s): Pediatric Nurse

I don't want to bash anyone's answer to this but there is really no point in wasting money on hiring someone to teach your dog obedience for a new born (speaking from experience). My little one is a month and a half and I have two dogs, one of which is really hyper and both of them bark at just about anything. Since you are around your dog I am assuming a lot while you are pregnant the baby will already be used to the dogs barking when the baby comes out.

We trained our dogs from the very beginning when we brought the baby into the house to be kind to the baby and we just call them away when it looks like they are going to step on the baby. Our dogs don't do anymore than lick the baby in the face every now and then and that is only if we let them. Another thing is you or someone else will probably be holding the baby most of the time so the dog probably won't even be able to reach him or her.

I personally will tell your parents not to worry and that the dog will be fine. You wouldn't get rid of a younger child just because you were going to have a baby so why get rid of a dog that is kind of like a child because you are going to have a baby?

I would have this conversation with your vet, and a pet trainer if possible, and there are probably books at the library that will cover this as well. Dogs will knock kids down, it's inevitable, so you have to be diligent about training your dog. The best part is, you have a bit of time before the dog and the baby will meet, so you have time to prepare your dog. I would say if you have friends with kids, or other kids in the family or there is a park nearby, get your dog around other kids, and often. Get him used to the sounds and actions of young kids, get him socialized with small children. Maybe the day your child is born your husband can take home a blanket that the baby was wrapped in (not the one your keeping as a keepsake!!)so the dog can get familiar with the baby's smell. I would think you should remain as normal as possible, and allow the dog in all of the same places as he is allowed now, if not this could cause jealousy. I would think you also need to train your child to be respectful of the dog and not pull on him, or tease him. You could probably also help, by (you) sticking your hands in his food bowl while he is eating just in case your child tries it. I truly think over time the biggest problem you may have is this border collie "herding" your child, and being protective over it. Another idea might be find some You Tube shorts on babies crying--I am sure they exist, and get the dog used to cries, as undoubtedly cries will scare, or concern him.

Finally, no matter how good you think your dog is, make sure someone is around the dog and the baby/child at all times. Afterall, they are still animals, but I think to get rid a pet just because you have a baby is wrong---a pet is family too (and was there 1st :), and maybe your baby will have a new best friend--in your dog )!!!!!!!!!!

Congatulations on your pregnancy!!

• Barbro

I am no expert on this, never having a baby, HOWEVER... You have a brand new child. You have so many hormones and chemicals being released by your body, and so many different emotions. You are tired. You are overwhelmed. You are stressed... ...getting rid of the dogs isn't going to rid you of those emotions. Things get easier as time progresses. For right now... do you have a neighbor with dogs that you can set up a play date with? "Hey, lets throw our dogs in the backyard for a little bit to mingle and play?" A family member that would be willing to come walk the dogs? Or even look into hiring a dog walker. Many teenagers look for any job they can get, so ask around with friends, family, and co-workers. Maybe someone knows a TRUSTED teenager that wants to make a few bucks, would do it for a decent price, and then the dogs would get out of the house, go on walks, get some play time, without bothering you. Remember... this baby stage is temporary. Getting rid of your dogs is a permanent solution.

• My baby is 3 weeks old and I was worried about the same thing as I have a pretty hyper 4 year old Pomeranian. When we brought the baby home we just let the dog sniff her because the dog was very curious but we haven't had a problem at all. I do not let the dog get really close to the baby however because I do not want to frighten the baby or let the dog think its okay but like i said I did let the dog sniff the baby just to pick up on her scent

Good Luck!

If he hasn't already get him into an obedience course. Walk him more often as well.

We have a 150lb Great Dane, and a baby due any day now. I am not getting rid of my dog. He is good with children, has been around them his whole life, he is well behaved, and listens commands. Sure he COULD knock my kids over, but he doesn't we have trained him to be gentle, and you can do the same thing to.

I know some people who have bought baby dolls that cry. Used baby powder and stuff on the doll so the dogs get used to the sounds and smells of a new baby. Also if the doll cries and the dog tries to bite you can either work with the dog or find a new home.

We too have a very hyper border collie. He turned 1 on the day our son was born. We could never give him up, lock him away or punish him for being himself. I just kept my son away from him when he would get in his hyper states. Our dog loves our son and vice versa. We brought our son home from the hospital before we brought the dog in. Then we let our dog sniff something the baby was using(blanket or piece of clothing) and said 'baby'. Our dog was likely used to hearing the word baby because we said it often before our son was born.

Then we let him see the baby from a distance. A little while later we let our dog come a little closer enough to sniff(but not too close of course)

We did a little everyday until the dog wasn't phased anymore at the arrival of our son. They are best friends now.

There is no need to get rid of your dog...you just have to learn how to train him, and start now while it is still early. Obedience classes are a really great idea as well. Border Collies really are hyper lol Congrats!

All dogs play rough. However if his play is borderline aggressive or if he is actually HURTING the other dogs due to his exuberance, then i would stop bringing him to the park immediately. Learn here https://tr.im/nuwH0

It's your job as his owner to keep him under control, and if you can't so that then you shouldn't be bringing him someplace where he could get into trouble.

How often does he get walked? As a high energy breed he should be walked twice a day for as long as he can stand it. Jogging is even better. You can't count on the park to be your only way of exercising him because he obviously is not ready for it (based on the behavior you describe.)

So start walking him every morning and evening. Enroll in an obedience class with a qualified instructor (i would find a private training facility as opposed to one at Petsmart - as good as some of those trainers can be, they're mainly for easy-to-train dogs and don't specialize in herding breeds OR dogs that may have aggression issues) and he/she will show you how to teach your dog how to come.

We have a golden retriever, I couldn't have possibly gotten rid of her. Our baby is now 10 months old. Her favorite game is now going under the dog and walking around the dog. The dog occasionally gets tired of it and walks off leaving the baby behind. She has never hurt or stepped on her. I watch them closely for when the dog is needing some away from the baby time. Anyway, Emma loves the dog as much as we do.

My recommendations for a young hyper dog are a obedience course, maybe your husband could take him if you are tired at this stage of your pregnancy. Knowing when to sit is good for having anyone around. Make sure he gets a good walk every day or a run around the yard. Take him out with the stroller or with a front pack when the baby is here. It will do a great deal for him not feeling left out and getting that puppy hyperness out.

We had family pushing us to get rid of our very hyper boxer mix prior to our baby's birth, and I know how irritating that can be!

Our dog was never around children before our daughter came along, so we didn't know what to expect. We actually found a special course to train your dog for the arrival at a local pet supply shop--I highly recommend it, as watching her succeed and eventually interact with children really eased our minds.

A couple weeks prior to my due date I interacted with our dog while holding a doll, and we'd periodically play a cd of a crying baby throughout the day.

After she was born, my husband brought home a blanket she was wrapped in and tied it to our dog's collar to give her time to get used to the smell.

Our daughter is now 20 months and she and the dog absolutely adore eachother. The dog loves having an energetic toddler to play with, and actually seems to know she's little and to be gentle. I don't know that any of our precautions helped, but they didn't hurt either. Also, as I'm sure you already know, the best thing you can do for both your pet and your child is never leave them alone together, even for just a second.

Best of luck, and congrats on expanding your family to four!