Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHome Schooling · 1 decade ago

School Project- Wasted time in school?

I am doing a project in my high school statistics class where I have to argue an idea with facts and statistics. The topic I have chosen is that there is too much wasted time spent in public school. I would like to compare different choices of education; home, cyber, public, private, Christian, etc. This is where all of you come in!

After going to public school last year after homeschooling all my life, I know this topic fairly well. I love high school and adjusted to the public school system very quickly, but the extra time of waiting on other students and finding ways of passing time to complete 180 days does not amuse me.

I have been having a hard time finding solid information to back up my argument. I was wondering if any of you could give me a brief schedule of your day of school. If you have experienced more than one of these types of education maybe you could compare them. What did you do? What do you like/dislike? How does this affect your education versus another type of schooling? How much time in each class do you actually spend learning? And specifically, was it a waste of time?

I ENCOURAGE your opinion on this topic, for my presentation is about your opinion. I am not here, however, to bad mouth homeschoolers, the public school system, or any other type of education. Rather, I want to expand my knowledge of this topic through your personal experience.

If anything, I would really appreciate a response concerning how much time in each class is spent on learning.

Thank you!

• Kate

I really don't think you're going to find statistics on this.

1) A big part of whether or not time is wasted depends on the student. When I was in school, if I finished an assignment early I was allowed to read or work on the next assignment if I wanted to. Conversely, a home schooler who spaces out while he should be reading would be wasting time.

2) It is also going to depend on what people consider wasted time. The time you spend switching classes can be seen as wasted time or it can be seen as useful time spent socializing.

3) The categories could be reduced to just homeschooling and traditional schooling. I don't see any reason why you'd expect a Christian school to differ from a private or public school in the time wasted.

4) Bias. Will people in a homeschooling forum be likely to give you the answer you want, particularly when you tell them your hypothesis? Normally people only respond to posts when they feel strongly, so your sample won't be representative. If you really want to collect data like this, you need to post your question without your thesis, you've just asked for answers that agree with you even if it wasn't intentional.

I'm not sure if the assignment is to look up statistics or do some kind of survey, but here are some better topics:

1) The descriptive statistics of homeschooling- Are homeschoolers more likely to live in specific parts of the country or types of places (rural, urban, suburban)? What are the racial charecteristics of homeschoolers and how do they differ from the general US population? Are some ages more likely to be homeschooled than others? This would mostly be internet research for existing statistics.

2) Who is more happy with their education, homeschoolers or traditional schoolers? (This would require surveys, which I have a feeling your teacher isn't looking for.)

• linke

Wasted Time Band

i would say based on the difficulty of the class, i spend anywhere from 3/4 to none of the period (1 1/2 hrs) actually getting any benefit. i learned just as much (or more) each year in homeschool with 2-4 hours of work each day. i also hit alot of time waiting for rides, between classes, at lunch, and near the end of a class (approx. 2 hrs a day total) doing nothing and wishing i could get work done and get away sooner, time wasted. hope it helps! -monotonous

Source(s): 8 years homeschool + 2 years high school

I am home schooling 2 kids via Keystone Online. My 10th grade daughter loves it, as she is able to study subjects that are not offered at our public school (she likes her Japanese language course), she often finishes her school work early in the day, and on top of that, she goes to public school for early-morning Jazz Band, eats lunch at school with her friends, & takes an afternoon band class before coming home. She prefers this schedule to the public school schedule. Not to mention, she doesn't have to deal with "preps & jocks" disrupting class like she had last year in 9th grade math.

My son is in 7th grade and is not doing so well. He misses his friends, even though he is also in 2 band classes (one is a once-a-week Jazz band). He has a hard time focusing on his courses and wants to go back to public school next year.

It depends on the student. If a student wants to really learn and does better on his/her own instead of a group setting, then home schooling would most likely be best. However, if the student prefers working in a group than working alone, public school may be best as home schooling makes the student feel isolated and left out of things (even if there is nothing going on).

Source(s): My kids.

I went to school briefly when I was younger and, yep, found the experience to be both boring and frustrating. And yes, a waste of time. It was the prep school of a supposedly uber-academic grammar school but it was nowhere near as demanding or challenging as I expected and wanted it to be. For instance, even though I was 7 and had been reading and writing since I was 3, the class teacher still insisted on spending (?wasting) an entire morning teaching me how to tell the time - something I could already do perfectly well and had been doing for myself for as long as I could remember. That's just one example. After about a month of being there I actually stood up and told the school principal that she and her entire school were wasting my time and that if all I wanted to do was muck around all day, I might just as well have stayed at home ('home' at the time was parents' accomodation at the kids hospital rather than our home proper).

I also think that if I want to waste my own time at home, that's fine. That is my choice and I'm free to make it for myself just as long as it does not impact on anyone else. One thing I did learn at school was that they do not feel obliged to hold themselves to the same standard of courtesy and respect for anyone beyond themselves. They were perfectly content to waste my time for me!

I don't reckon there is ever going to be a perfect answer to your question though because as someone else already pointed out the idea of what is and isn't wasted time is pretty subjective. "One man's bread is another man's poison" as the saying goes. One only has to read a selection of posts here to know that what one person loves about going to school, another one hates; and what attracts some kids to school, repels others.

I think a lot must also depend upon the individual's own preferred learning style, as well as their own educational aims and objectives; and there home-ed is probably always going to have the edge over mass schooling. After all, you can't please all the people all of the time whereas pleasing one person is pretty straightforward! If what goes on in school does not suit your particular learning style nor tally with your individual aims and objectives for your education nor goals for your future then pretty much every moment of every day is going to feel like a waste of time.

Interestingly our state's own Department of Education actually publishes, in its guidelines for home education, its own acknowlegement that much of the time spent during the average school day in its own schools is just "empty time" when compared to the community based alternatives such as home education.

Finally I suppose the question ultimately comes down to just what an individual does/does not consider empty time, and whether or not that individual also considers such empty time to be wasted time.