Difference between New Zealand and Australia?

This is a very broad question. Wouldn't you narrow it down?

NZ was the FIRST country to go nuclear free.

In the 70s , we told America not to come within 200 klm in thier ships if nuclear capable--the world laughed at us then but pretty soon, ALL followed our lead.

We are the youngest nation on Earth,and one of the smallest.

Auatralia is 20 times bigger.Ergo, 20 times the better/worse, depends on how you want to look at it.

Aust/NZ = ANZAC and for that , citizens of both countries can sleep easy knowing we will be at each others side no matter what.

We are the only 2 countries in the world with a reciprocal enrty and exit scheme whereby people can come and go without cross border restrictions to employment and living arrangements.

Australasia, Southern Hemisphere for that matter is the safest and greenest part of the planet relying on Democracy and Freedom as it's base for all people to co-exist.

Come on down, its great!!!!

Source(s): A Kiwi in Aus and lovin it!!!

New Zealand has colder temperatures than Australia. Lots of rain and way lower temperatures -like rarely above 25c in most parts .Lots of wind too .A bit like Tasmania.

Australia ,hot ,dry very little rain. The air is hard to breath ,very little humidity and moisture in the air -mostly desert.Harsh climate.

But Australia is more advanced than New Zealand .More opportunities and better education e.t.c. Tons of Kiwis move to Oz every year ,it's a one way stream .By the way ,New Zealand t.v.and newspapers really sucks ,can't compare to the highly excellent and informative value of Australian t.v./newspapers .

New Zealand is changing quite a bit in recent years .The population is now over 4 million ,more multi-racial than it's ever been. Quite an ethnically diverse country .A lot of Polynesians and Asians ,as well as White Europeans (Pakeha ) .

EDIT:One thing I really can't stand about Australia is the weather .It is so hot and dry ,it's like I feel like I'm choking all the time .It feels like I'm breathing through a straw and have asthma .Never felt like this in New Zealand. The air quality in New Zealand is far superior ,and makes life more enjoyable.

EDIT:To "Spectre" below me .You said quote "As to Sun Rain 's comments - a load of bollocks" .You sir ,are full of bollocks .

LOL!! Me thinks you have just opened a can o' worms LOL!!

The differences are vast, but as much as we sling off at each other, we do have close ties between the two. And being an Aussie married to a Kiwi... there arent too many differences after all... LOL!

Geographically there are differences in size and formation. Australia is almost one vast plain with low hills. NZ is extensive mountain ranges with mountains up to 1,000m taller than Australia. NZ has active to dormant volcanoes; Australia only has extinct volcanoes. NZ is constantly being rattled by earthquakes... which are rare in Australia.

Weather: due to Australia extending from the tropics down to the roaring 40s its weather is more hot. NZ starts in the sub tropics and ends near the Antarctic so it is heaps cooler.

Wildlife: Australia has the more abundant variety and count of bird and animal life. NZ unfortunately due to imported weasels, ferrets, stoats stupidly let loose and turned ferral are loosing their native birds rapidly. Australians go aahh... look at the cute possum! NZers see a possum and see red! The possums were brought over from Aus to set up a fur farm, have gone ferral and are also helping decimate the birdlife, eating the tree foialage and flowers and eating eggs from nests.

I jokingly tell my husband we need to bring in the wedgetail eagle and some snakes to keep the possums down... it is not appreciated!!

Both countries are great places to live. I miss Australia's bird and animals, the gum trees, my family, but I also love NZ scenery and cooler weather.

Well I have a snowy mountain and ranges to go catch on camera in my back yard, so I'll leave you to it.

NZ feels like one big country town where as Australia is busier and bigger. Australia is hotter has more beaches, is more metropolitan, more opportunities. I see NZ as like a mini me of Australia. It is much colder in New Zealand I went there in January and it snowed. I couldn't believe it!! Australia is more advanced in many ways. Both countries are beautiful though!

No difference at all.

New Zealand and Australia are the same place.

it's a conspiracy, that way the Government gets more money from tourism.

• Australia is heaps better. too many reasons to list. i'll just name a few.

1. Us Australians prefer people to sheep.

2. Better weather in Aus.

3. Aussie accent is way cooler than Kiwi accent.

4. Aus is more culturally diverse.

5. Aus has a lot more tourist attractions.

and so on and so forth.

The differences are immense and would be difficult to adequately explain here

As to Sun Rain 's comments - a load of bollocks, the reason so many Kiwis are there is the money eldest son, 24, is in WA working at Tom Price Iron Ore Mine, Fly in/out from Perth all for $89,000pa, That job was vacant for a long time

The main difference is the Kiwi work ethic

And as to SR comment about our cultral diversity we treat

other with a bit of respect. About 20 odd years ago some aussies still hunted the Aborigine for sport

J Dogg

Its a proven fact Oz has more sheep and a hell of a lot of Kangas and we no what you do with them

Sun Rain

You wouldnt have ya knickers in a twist by any chance,You really need to get out more often

They pronounce Fish and Chips differently.

Culturally & historically very similar .... same language , system of government & heritage BUT both fiercely independent & suspicious of each other ....

Kiwis have a fondness for sheep ....we prefer beef cattle !

Source(s): J...