Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

what is different and the same about road and racing bikes?

what is the difference between road and racing bikes and what is the same?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

The Difference Between Mountain Bikes & Road Racing Bicycles

Different Types of Bicycle

Here's some more information about different kinds of bicycle. If you're beginning to cycle and planning to make your first purchase, or looking to advance your riding, here we'll be looking into the different types of bicycles and what they're designed to do. This article looks into road racing bikes and mountain bikes. Discover more about bicycles in this short guide.

Road Racing Bicycles

Road bikes and road racing bikes are built for speed and are designed for use on the road. Because these bicycles are designed to gain maximum speed on the roads, these types of bike are very lightweight, with a slender frame made from materials such as carbon fibre. Other design inventions to helping gain maximum speed on a road bike include very narrow and smooth surface tyres, and dropped curved handlebars and tri-bars fitted to the centre, which all help make the cyclists position on the bike more aerodynamic whilst riding. The aerodynamic design of a road racing bike helps to enhance the speed of the bike, helping the rider go faster.

Road racing bikes also have a minimal amount of gears. A minimal amount of gears are designed to create a narrow gear ratio, and this narrow gear ratio makes cycling on the road more efficient. The idea behind a minimal amount of gears on road racing bikes is to allow the rider to crank the pedals at an efficient and constant pace on this type of smooth terrain, whilst being able to handle the road at different gradients encountered during the course, such as up and down hills.

Mountain Bikes

Mountain bikes are used over all kinds of different, and often bumpy, uneven terrain. Unlike racing cycles, mountain bikes have many gears to control and maintain an efficient and constant pace (or in other words, a cadence). These many gears help to maintain a good pedalling cadence for the rider throughout the rough, uneven terrain and contrasting degrees of gradient; from steep mountain, hill side terrain, to more rugged flat grassy land.

Mountain bikes are often more robustly built than road bikes. To manage a good efficient ride, these bikes are designed to handle the hefty stress and strain the cycle may go through to perform on these types of trails. Often mountain bikes are made from steel and aluminium, and the more performance based, racing cycles can be made from carbon-fibre and titanium materials to make them lighter and faster.

Two important features found on a mountain bike are that they often have suspension systems and disc brakes. Disc brakes fitted to the centre of the wheel help maintain an efficient braking system during riding through difficult muddy terrain for example, whereas its counterpart, the v-brakes (seated on the rim of the wheels) may easily get clogged up with mud, and become less efficient during the course of the ride.

Suspension on a bicycle helps the tyres to better manage the rough, bumpy terrain and aims to absorb the shock produced as the tyres better manage through the ground. Mountain bikes are commonly found to have front suspension, or full suspension (suspension at the front and rear of the tyres) and suspension too can be fitted to the saddle/saddle post to produce a more comfortable ride.

• 3 years ago

Racing Bikes

• Deanna
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axtgT

I'm getting a road bike soon also and am very aware of how different it's going to be from my XC Mountain Bike. I think the bike will be ok but it's you thats going to have to adapt. Obviously keep it out of deep ruts in the road and those skinny tyres will be a bit sketchy on some surfaces but in a few weeks you will be wondering what you were worrying about. I'm torn between an all out racer and a tri-cross style bike. Picking my mountain bike was hard enough but I can see this choice giving me a headache. What did you get with your hard earned? Best of luck with it anyway. Unusual choice, the brand is very American I think. Not easily avaliable in the UK though as good as they look. I'm stuck with chosing from Evans and their range due to the tax relief scheme I'm buying through and I'm swinging towards a Specialized.

• 1 decade ago

Road racing bikes are "road bikes". Racing bikes can be ridden on the road ... and some very well off people do ride bike almost identical to pro racing bikes as their "regular" bike. Similarly mountain bike and time trieal and Triathalon racing bikes are simply high end versions of bikes available to you and I ... if we can pay the higher price.

The primary difference between a low end road bike and a true racing version is the quality of the components. The frame is lighter, the gears optimized for precise shifting, components lighter, etc.

Sometimes racing bikes (pro level) have components that are not yet available for normal consumers ... but this is rarely the case for long (assuming the component proves itself).

The Giro d'Italia is currently running and Lance Armstrong's bike is essentially the same as the $8K Trek Madone available to consumers.

• Merc5 years agoReport

best anser ever

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 years ago

Road And Race

• 1 decade ago

Hey ...Just a short summary of what the first guy wrote

As knowledge

Road ; Road use only.

Racing; Can be used on road but not suited for it, can be used for anything else

Depends what environment you are planning to ride in

If none of above is right, if you attend to ride Dirt

Mountian Bike is most suited

or else

you can take a look at bmx if you are interested

• 1 decade ago

Road bikes can be any bike suitable for frequent road usage including long distance, and comply with statutory road usage requirements

Racing bikes are dedicated to competition cycling, may not comply to statutory road usage requirements

Source(s): Road Bike Cyclist
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.