How do you pronounce the name 'Berenice'?

I always thought it was 'Ber-en-ee-see', but I checked on a website and they say it's pronounced 'Ber-en-is' which sounds a bit odd?

apparently it's an ancient Macedonian name, I really like it but don't know the correct way Berenice is supposed to be said! any help?

Its an ancient Greek name.(victory bearer)

As for the pronunciation, if you want to pronounce it in Greek is

Ve-re-NEE-kee

If you want to pronounce it in English is

Be-re-nis.

Ber-en-ee-s (the end sounds like niece), I know someone who has that name and thats how they pronounce it

Berenice Name

Be - ren - ees. It is a totally different name from Bernice, which is pronounced Ber - nees My cousin is called Berenice.

Bur-en-ese

T. O. Mabbott notes that in Poe’s day, Berenice was pronounced to rhyme with “very spicy.” (T. O. Mabbott, ed., The Collected Works of Edgar Allan Poe, 1978, p. 219, title note)

Its Ber-neice to me, but no reason why you cant use Ber-en-ee-see which is a lovely name! I've never heard of it before & its wayy nicer than Ber-neice!!

:-)

I think it can be said as either Ber-Run-Niece or Ber-Niece.

• Burrr-Niece

Source(s): I know a girl by that name except she spells it Berniece

ber-neece