Help! Please tips on internet dating. How do you stay safe?

I never did this before. My friends encouraged me to try internet dating. I have had one bad relationship after the other. I do not want to pick the same kind of men. However, I do not want to place myself into an unsafe zone. How do you stay safe? Please need tips. I am a very attractive female. The picture I posted is very modest. I did not want to reveal my body...the picture was tasteful. At least, it left something to the imagination of the guys viewing. Unlike the other pictures of the females whom showed everything they possibly could. Please, post tips on how to date via internet safely.

1. Arrange to meet him.

When meeting for the first time, never allow your date to pick you up from your home. In fact, your date shouldn't even know your home address yet!

2. Meet in public places.

For a first meeting, always meet in a public place where other people are in close proximity. You may also want to consider going out with a group of people, or a double date.

3. Go dutch by paying half of the bill.

It's always respectful for the man to offer to pay the bill. Unfortunately, some men ruin the gesture by expecting something in return. Therefore it may not be a bad idea for you to go dutch. Pay half the bill so that you won't feel under any obligation to "return" the favor.

4. Remember that alcohol affects your judgment.

The biggest threat to a person's judgment, when on a date, is alcohol. Not only does it affect your judgment, but alcohol also lessens your inhibitions. If you are drinking, keep your drink in sight at all times and don’t get so drunk that you don’t know what you are doing. Better yet, try to avoid alcohol on your first date.

5. Use your own mode of transportation.

Provide your own transportation to your public meeting place and make sure you have more than enough gas.

6. Don't assume that a man is safe.

It's important never to let your guard down when on a first date. Never assume a man is safe just because he claims to be religious or a gentleman.

7. Don’t let him know where you live.

If you want to see him again, arrange a second date and then take it from there.

8. Avoid secluded areas.

Remember - stay in a public place for your first date and avoid secluded areas such as parks.

9. Listen to your gut.

If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. And if you haven’t met him before, and you know at the beginning of the date that something doesn’t feel right, then leave immediately.

10. Always let someone else know where you're going. Be sure someone knows where you are going and who you'll be with. You might even consider arranging a time to call and check in. Or you could arrange to meet up with friends later that night.

11. Give him your cell phone number.

It's safer to give out a cell phone number instead of your home phone number (click here for why).

12. Always remain alert.

Even if you’re having a blast and the chemistry is great, it’s a good idea to remain alert the whole evening. Make sure you have a cell phone on you.

Sorry to say, but Internet dating is never safe. It shouldn't be. The safest way is in person.