Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Ideas for a short story?

Ideas for a short story?

I'm going to explode. I need to write a short story and I'm experiencing this ultimate mind block. I'm ripping out my hair, biting my nails, picking my scabs, and any other nervous habit you can think of, trust me, I'm doing it. Any ideas are appreciated GREATLY. Thanks in advance.

one more thing.. its should really only be 1-2 pages..so something rather short.. again THANKYOU SO MUCH!!

Have a look on the website I've linked below - it's wikipedia's list of mythical creatures. Have a look through, and there'll be a few that jump out at you. A lot of the creatures have hardly been heard of too, so your story will be surprisingly original. Just find a creature that gets your imagination fired-up - that you can easily imagine a situation with - and you've already done the hardest part!!

I'll give it a quick go myself to show you what I mean:

"Redcap: a type of imaginary malevolent murderous dwarf, goblin, elf or fairy found in Border Folklore. They inhabit ruined castles found along the border between England and Scotland. Redcaps are said to murder travelers who stray into their homes and dye their hats with their victims' blood (from which they get their name)."

So... a scene I can easily imagine is a person walking through some dense Scottish woodland in the depths of the night. It's totally quiet apart from the crunch of the dry twigs and ferns beneath their feet. As they walk, the high walls of an old castle appear between the gaps in the fir trees. Thinking they hear a strange noise, they begin to creep slowly towards the source of the sound, and see a strange red shape partly obscured by a cold grey boulder. As they move closer, the noises become more distinct - a sort of frenzied gurgling sound, like a dying animal snorting in a stream. As they move around the rock, they see the hideous little redcap. It kneels over a human body, a body bleeding profusely from its abdomen, and dips its little cap in the crimson stream. Lifting the cap to its mouth, it furiously and gleefully guzzles down the blood, the steaming crimson smeared across its sharp teeth and scarred chin. Mid-guzzle, it stops dead on the spot, as if intently listening to something. As little puffs of misty breath rise from its hot, bloody mouth, it looks around, its yellow eyes falling upon the new observer. As droplets of blood spit from its lips, it releases a hushed, devilish giggle.

Mwahaha. See what I mean? Just find a creature that has potential and your idea's already formed. The creature that grabs your attention will do so for a reason - whatever is unusual about it will suggest ideas and themes which you're already interested in.

Good luck!

A published, but essentially unknown author, writes about the fact that every story they write ends up being the plot for a highly successful film or book a few years after they have written the story.

Not all of the author's stories have been published, and those that have been haven't been published in widely read journals, so the idea that all of the author's stories have been "stolen" isn't plausible. However, the author has begun to wonder if he or she is psychic and has been sensing the ideas of the other writers, or that the other writers are psychic and they have been sensing the writer's ideas.

• Lisa

Yes, describe the desperation of a girl going nuts because she has an assignment to write a story and has writer's block. She resorts to ripping out her hair, biting her nails, picking her scabs, and any other nervous habit you care to mention. If you write about what you know, people can identify with it. You will get better results than going off into a land of fantasy.

Cheers and award yourself two points for giving yourself the bones of a story.

Lisa

I know this is way to long ago.... but for people who are just looking for topic ideas here they are: - One day a girl goes to some kind of camp or something for 3 years comes back to greet her best friend and when she comes home her best friend has been in juelville. She despertly wants to save her best friend and realizes that HE loves her! -A big catastrophe comes when two friends pick wrong friends to hang out with and they fall apart -A girl has been caught selling drugs and is beat up to the max or goes to jail( you can tell how she feels inside about selling drugs) -A popstar goes undercover as a nerd to feel how its like to be a reagular kid in high school, but it was horrible! Soon one of the "popular girls" steal her phone and finds out she the actress and tells her to call herself a dork at school or else shes going to let out her secret! Just saying these are my ideas!

if you want to do a short story, i always find it easier to kill off the main character. yeah, that sounds really messed up but seriously, easiest ending! maybe you could do a story about a kid with cancer/anorexia/schizophrenia/some other dramatic illness, or something else that would be dramatic and connect the reader with the protagonist via sympathy.

good luck xx

There was a girl walking through the woods, she sees an old acorn and picks it up. The acorn unlocks a magical world full of secrets.

That was just to get your brain working, you get to finish it.

• tanya

Write from a vivid childhood memory. Like learning to ride a bike or summer camp. You can always change the names and the ending. It just needs a bit of courage to bring out that memory. Please see this article for tips on writing from your past: http://tiny.cc/sp4pQ

Anything around you that inspires you. It can be someone like a sibling or a friend or even someone you don't really know that well. I write songs and get my inspiration from anything around me in a quiet place. It helps you think.

-stuck in situation where someone is trying to kill you, wake up its a dream, but something around you makes you realize maybe it wasn't completely a dream...

yeah that's pretty much all i could come up with before a mind block hit me too

:D

1.very dramatic morning getting ready

2.being lost

3.event sale, festival,orientation,driver test,camp out

4. alltercation w/ bully student cashier

What academic level?