Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

How come psychology answerers suck compared to philosophy ones?

Psychology is a "young science," comparatively speaking, on human behavior base mainly on empirical evidence. It has more an analytical approach than and intuitive approach (that is more in the realm of spirituality). However, let say, a"good therapist" uses both empirical knowledge and intuition in a more effective observation and help of a patient. The text of psychology does not necessarily go in to the spiritual/intuitive criteria elements of a human being on the other hand Philosophy has existed for thousands of years in "the human psychic" opened more to "conceptual/abstract thinking. intuitiveness, inspiration, and awareness which can neither be proven nor disproved by empirical evidence. I believe that Psychology is still in the embryo stages of development. The human being is a profoundly complex system. I believe that both empirical evidence and spiritual awareness will elevate psychology to the next level. Take care, Hector

Source(s): HRC

I've hardly been in the philosophy section, but from what I've seen here most people are teens or, at best, college age. If you look at a lot of the questions here, it's just a lot of frivolity in this section or people whom I think just want attention really badly, always talking about how they're considering suicide and their self-esteem. And those same people, plus a few others, answer the questions, as well. They've made this section way more watered down and trivial than it should be, and I really don't want people who do feel they need help to feel bad at that comment but it's just true. But younger people, or most of them, aren't that interested in philosophy.

I think Yahoo Answers really needs to create separate sections for adults and then again for younger people. Every site I've been on that has been geared towards helping people, when there are a lot of young people it just ruins it.

They're completely different things. Pscychology is the science of thought, how people think and why they think that way. It's firmly based in medical fact taken from disecction and studies of thought. Philosophy is the art of thinking. Pondering the questions of life the universe and everything. In the study of philosophy you would look at particular schools of thought (or if you like, belief), what different groups of people have thought about different things such as the nature of the human soul, the best way to live a life, how we came to be here in the irst place. But that study isn't philosophy itself, philosophy is an entirely personal act of thought not based upon the outside world.

Philosophy is a more abstract subject, therefore anything can or cannot be true there. Everything is true in philosophy being not true at the same time. Philosophy is more theoretical as well and looks like it does not require much of experimentation but ideas only, so anything can be accepted. Philosophy is about ways of thinking.

While psychology requires more of experimentally proved theories. Having in mind that no theory in any science nowadays is absolutely complete or fully explaining its main topic, and moreover all theories are always subject to disproval by logic or experimentation, that is the reason why many sciences including psychology lack true base but are mainly hypothetical, and as you said that yourself - their answers suck.

Source(s): observation

Simple actually. The psychology section is just that much easier to find than the philosophy one. The kids are more interested in things ``social`` than in things that have to do with ``humanities``.

Cheers!

Ok, it is worth a try, right?

Because philosophy ROCKS :). Lol, but really philosophy has very little limitations I think. Most questions in the philosophy section are pretty interesting and make you think, whereas here people want answers to cure their emo ways.

Maybe because most people here don't have anywhere near even a Bachelor's degree in the subject, and philosophical questions can be easier to ramble about cohesively than psychological ones, since a knowledge of the science is often necessitated for any substantial answer.

Well, I would think it would be because there aren't many good questions asked. Philosophy ones are a matter of people's thoughts and opinions. They are more open ended questions, whereas psychology is more textbook.

I think it's the other way around. Philosophy sometimes provides mental acrobatics for a problem easily explained by mental processes. I don't know what situation you're talking about, but these are separate disciplines and you have to view them as such to understand the discrepancy in their answers.

Psychology is bound by convention philosophy is not.