John asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

What has more fans, Star Trek or Star Wars?

I want quantifiable evidence.

Favorite Answer

Great Geek Question!

Speaking as a dyed-in-the-wool geek myself, this debate has been fired up for decades. Let's do a quick "Tale of the Tape":

Star Trek

42 year-old franchise

10 Movies (Soon to be 11)

5 TV series

3 Comic Book Series

650+ Novelizations

1 Saturday Morning Cartoon

Star Wars

32 year-old franchise

6 Movies

2 TV Series (With a possible live action in 2010)

13 Comic Book Series

85+ Novelizations

1 Christmas Special

So, what does this all mean? Well, nothing really.

According to our friends at Wiki, The Empire has conquered more movie screens than The Federation. However, more people have flown warp speed than hyper drive in the aftermarket (including VHS, laser disc & DVD).

And what do these stats tell us? Once again, nada.

Star Trek offers stories of modern problems wrapped in futuristic settings and the danger of interference with other cultures while Star Wars gives the audience a look into one messed up family and good overcoming evil (that is, after evil defeats good).

How does this answer the question? It doesn't.

It seems there is a definite line between the 2 franchises, but its a line fans are willing to cross for the sake of sci-fi. You can indulge your child-like imagination & wonder when watching Luke & the crew take on Darth & the boys or fulfill your moral barometer as Kirk or Picard or Sisco or Janeway or Archer boldly go where no one has gone before.

So which franchise has more fans? Who cares? As long as the force is with us then all fans will live long and prosper.

Source(s): Grim likes Babylon 5 the best ;)
  • foran

Ppftt. i for my area do no longer see any clarification for it. i'm a famous guy or woman Wars fan who has on no account truly gotten into famous guy or woman Trek. I advise from what i've got considered, it is fantastic, yet i do no longer understand the place to start viewing/watching. might I hate somebody by using fact they like famous guy or woman Trek, lol no.

I'd say Star Wars has more fans, because its a bigger part of general pop culture.

But I'd say Star Trek's fans are more devoted.

You will never get a real number. Are you kidding? How can you even measure that? Jeez. I would say Star Wars just by how many cons they have.

Of course star trek have more fans, don't you think so?

Source(s): @http://www.dvdorderonline.com you will find so many persons like star trek more than star wars.

You will never get a real number, but I have to give it to Star wars

• Marco

Star Wars- 7 films, total gross: $2,217,773,316

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=...

Star Trek- 10 films, total gross: $755,595,722