Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

do your kids drink tap water?

simple question, how do your serve your water? at my parents house we had a water cooler, and had to buy those heavy water jugs (our alternative was contaminated well water) i now buy individual bottles of water (yes i know i'm killing the environment with em' pretty soon i'm hoping to cut back) i know some peole who drink right out of the tap, and i know some who boil everything, and some jjust use one of those fitlers. what do you use/reccomend?

Favorite Answer

i drink and serve my kids tap water. it's actually better for you than bottled, b/c it has fluoride (which is good for you) and bottled doesn't.

For drinking water I buy a giant jug of water (rectangular with a tap on it) that fits in the top rack of the fridge perfectly. It holds quite a few liters of water. Anyway, we buy it at the store like that for a few bucks. Lasts us a couple weeks (give or take).

On top of that we have a filtration system hooked up to the pipes under the sink as well as one on the tap. We use it for cooking and mixed drinks. We all have water canisters of our own, however I buy the mini bottles of water so that when we need extra on the go we have them. So really we do a little bit of everything depending on the situation. The only time we drink tap water is for mixed drinks, for the most part, we do not drink tap water. I hate the chlorine taste in it. In fact, I really do not like town water at all. I miss my family's water from back home. They had a well system and the water tasted so fresh and pure. However you can get contaminated well water. A friend of mine about 30 min drive from where we lived had to move because the land they lived on was entirely contaminated and they couldn't drink the water or use the water.

No, not here where we live. This water smells like a a cup of water with another cup of chlorine in there. Horrible.

I would recommend a filter or any other system that can purify and soften the taste of the water. The water here is over-treated.

I lived in Europe and where we were, we could drink the water right from the tap. The taste was pure & good!

We buy bottle water. I know more often than not it is just tap water in the bottles but it is a mental thing with me and I can not drink from the tap!

I grew up stopping to take a drink out of the hose pipe. We had well water and I still do. I take bottled water to work with me, so you could say that I'll drink it however. I do know that the pitchers that filter your water work great, I've had no experience with the filters that hook to your faucet. I would either drink it out of the tap if your water tastes good or use the filtered pitcher.

At my house we use the PUR filter. But it's reverse osmosis causing bacteria to be present, so it would be better to use tap. But I would honestly only drink from bottle water or the fridge water if I could.

In my Microbiology class, we took tap water from Downey/Bellflower/Long Beach area. And it was badly infected! So if you're in the area, DO NOT DRINK IT.

• Lydia

Yes - we are lucky that in our city we have awesome tap water - everyone loves it. Our son takes individual bottles of water only when he needs them for school, for some event or something - because buying bottles at school is way too expensive.

• Moon

We drink out of the tap. In our area, tap water tastes just as good as bottled water.

Drinking daily 2 to 3 liters!

Tap water is much safer and better for the environment than bottled water. In fact most bottled water is only purified tap water. And tap is less expensive.

• Yes, tap water is said to be the same thing they sell in the jugs at walmart.