Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 1 decade ago

Ich Dien : the Prince of Wales's motto : when and how did it originate?

Update:

arlanymo... how very interesting - the Welsh "eich dyn" ! Does anyone know more ?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

Arlanymor has got it correct.

The Black Prince obtained the Arms from John 1, who was blind and who he had fought and won against at Crecy.

After the Battle of Crecy, the Prince took the badge to his dead fathers body (Edward the III), and took his father’s helmet which was lined with feathers.

So with the feathers and the dead King’s motto etc, made his own new badge which today is the Prince of Wales badge.

“Eych Dyn” in Welsh means “Your Man”

“Ich Dien” in German means “I Serve”

So as both the German and Welsh words are pronounced the same, it is thought he used this motto to honour Welsh soldiers.

Surrey Cricket Club can also use this emblem as the Oval is owned by the Prince of Wales.

• ?5 years agoReport

the Prince took the badge to his dead fathers body (Edward the III)
      Except that the Black Prince died a year earlier than his father.

• 6 years ago

"EICH" is "your", and Ich Dien is not Welsh at all, it's German, and cannot mean "your man". You are right though, it is thought that it originates from Crecy, in which the Black Army of Llantrisant fought and were honoured as they were the best Longbow archers at the time.

However, the three feathers are also a bit of an insult to the Welsh. Before the days of Edward I, Wales did not have Kings - anyone could claim himself a King - but we had Princes; one has to be BORN a Prince, and therefore have rightful claim to a throne.

Edward I installed his son as Prince of Wales to overcome this law.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Ich Dien : the Prince of Wales's motto : when and how did it originate?

Source(s): ich dien prince wales 39 motto originate: https://biturl.im/HU7QV
  • 3 years ago

Ich Dien

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This is the best answer copied from the top. . .

It is the German Ich dien--i serve from the Welsh Eich Dyn--your man.Legend has it that it came from the battle of Crecy whereby The Black Prince used Welsh Archers but the German equivalent probably came from our German Royal family.

http://www.fotw.net/flags/gb-wales.html

• 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axUVa

Well, this is the answer: the motto is German "Ich Dien" (= "I serve"), which is a near-homophone (same pronunciation) for the Welsh language phrase "Eich Dyn" meaning "Your Man", which would have helped endear the young Black Prince to the Welsh soldiers in particular.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is the German Ich dien--i serve from the Welsh Eich Dyn--your man.Legend has it that it came from the battle of Crecy whereby The Black Prince used Welsh Archers but the German equivalent probably came from our German Royal family

• 3 years ago

Longbow Llantrisant

• Very interesting

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.