promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

Do cats or bears have sharper claws?

Debating with a friend, raised the question of whether cats or bears have sharper claws?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

Cats, for the simple reason that their claws are retractile. This means that the claws are kept inside the paw while the cat is just walking around, and are only unsheathed when the cat wants to use them - say, for gripping its prey. Because the claws are not constantly in contact with the ground, as a bear's claws are, they do not get worn down and become blunt, as a bear's do.

Source(s): I used to be a zookeeper and have studied animals all my life.
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

depends on the cat.

i'd have to say a cat would, since they use them a lot more. and are designed for going into flesh.

a bears claws would be much more stronger, and have less of a sharp point because there used for climbing trees, a sharp point would be worn down very fast and be 'pointless'.

• Bobby
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Definitely cats. They have claws that can be resharpened by scratching on trees or other objects. A tiny swipe of a paw from a cat will draw blood, also.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I would say a bear has sharper claws

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Cats, because they can sheathe their claws, preserving the sharpness of their claws.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.