April
April asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 decade ago

Does your last name sound unusual? Foreign?

Favorite Answer

April, the ancient Gaelic spelling of my surname is Mac an Tsair, and means "son of the carpenter." Of course, this is the modern age -- the spelling is updated, but the pronunciation is the same.

My earliest known ancestor to share this name is St. Ciaran the Younger, one of the 12 apostles of Ireland and founder of the Irish monastery Clonmacnoise.

Coffaro ( Ka- far -o ) .....Yes my name is very hard for almost everyone i've ever met. all i know about it is that it's an italian last name & from what my mom told me ( which she proble lied to me about that as well ) was that if i ever went to italy & mention my last name people would most likely either slam the door in my face or try to shoot me down because suposible the coffaro's were mafian but i don't believe none of what she said about it , it sound's too wickedly fantasized to me. puls i don't even know my family because it is a broken family .

• Laura

Me, I say yes because I have a weird last name and everybody except my culture has such a difficult time pronouncing it. Then again don't let society make u choose a last name they would like, choose one that you like and think has actual meaning. Hope for the best :)

Wilolen

Mine is an English name and is pronounced and spelled very phonetically but you would be surprised at people to whom I have to spell it. There is an Irish version of my name. My father was largely Irish, orange and green.

my last name is Khoury

it's arabic and i can't begin to describe the grievances i've gotten from mispronunciations

(CO-RY)

the sad thing is, in it's original form the Kh is an almost guttaral sound that can't be reproduced through typing

• Kevin7

It is a bit unusual

Actually, people comment more on the strangeness of THE NOLTE's first name.

Actually my full name does its Azeka Shaher Kamal

My last name sounds kind of normal, but it isn't very common.

Here is a hint: It doesn't rhyme with penis.