promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

which one would generate more energy?

I'm doing a science project on solar panels and windmills, and I need to know which one generates more energy!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • John W
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

There's the matter of how much the solar panels costs versus the costs of the same generating capability in a wind turbine and the matter of when the electricity is generated.

Solar panels can easily costs tens of thousands of dollars, easily as much as 30 thousand dollars where as the same generation capability could be had from wind for perhaps 5 thousand or less.

Solar power is at it's peak during the day when demand for power is also at it's peak but winds tend to blow at night when power demands are at their lowest.

The current wind strategy is to sell the wind power to the utilities and purchase power back when needed, however only a limited amount of unreliable variable wind generating capability can be absorbed by the grid without adding contingency generation capability that can be varied on demand such as gas turbines, hydro or nuclear and even then wind could only ever displace baseline power generation which are currently generated mostly by coal plants.

Ultimately even wind power is solar power as wind is produced by temperature gradients hence wind is just less efficient solar as there has been more energy conversions and hence energy loss. Solar panels can be improved significantly so the future power generation capabilities are quite high whereas wind turbines are already almost as efficient as they can get so wind power is limited by available locations. Generally, solar power has a lot more potential generating capacity then wind.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Well the windmill send electric back the power company and they send you a check, and the solar panels charge a battery so when the electric goes out you can run on those batteries and you do not pay a lot of money for electric for either one of them. I say probably the windmill, but I am only guesses. The windmill send the energy that you do not use to the power company. So that is why I said the windmill for. Let me know what grade you got. Good Luck :)

• 1 decade ago

It really depends. Let me give you some factors of photovoltaic cells (solar panels) and turbines (windmills).

Photovoltaic cells:

-Have very low energy-generating potential, but huge panels of them, along with enough sunlight, will work.

-PV cells are cheap and can be bought easily.

-Their size can be adjusted according to your needs.

-Solar cells are portable and almost maintenance-free.

Turbines:

-If used to turn a generator, it can churn out a pretty high output.

-It requires a constant supply of wind, or in the case of hydro-turbines, water.

-They are massive structures and can be very costly to build.

-And of course, you can't just port it around.

So, for the following examples, I'll recommend the following types of power source:

Electric Solar-powered Car: Solar cells

Small generator for lighting small bulbs: turbine

Grinder: turbine

Generally, a windmill will definitely generate more power than solar cells if size is not of constraint. It's because the energy-generating capacity of a windmill is affected by its size and its torque.

Source(s): I'm trained in electrical technology. and have experience with solar cells and turbines.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Solar panels generates more electricity compared to wind turbines if there is not enough wind, and also engineering wise, it has killed bird species. Plus, they need to be connected to a storage system, plus with more efficiency and reduced costs, both may do the job.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Windmills by far give use the most power per dollar. But why not force people to use less energy.

Rationing would be a good start.

• you have left out to many specifics with your question. was size is the generator and what are the dimensions of the solar panel? either one is capable of large amounts of power(energy), it all depends on the scale.

Source(s): ase certified master tech.
  • 1 decade ago

depends on where each one is, i'd say windmill if the wind is strong, or sun if its always sunny, solar is more practical.

• David
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Neither of them generate energy really. They only convert energy from one form into electricity. The amount of electricity generated would depend on the amount of energy (sunlight or wind) that is available.

• 1 decade ago

It depends on the area your at.

A sunny state/ A windy state.

Not per day, the amount of sunlight/wind speed per year.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.