Gapic asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

How is Che Guevara a 'revolutionary hero'?

I find it amusing how there are t-shirts and banners with Che's face imprinted on them, and teenagers saluting him non-stop, when I've researched him thoroughly, and he was merely responsible for murders and executions that were not based on a fair trial. Regardless of the amount of information there is that suggests he was a hero, does anyone have any points in favour of this? It would be a great help if you did.

Update:

Plus, I need plenty of detail!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

Che was the most complete human being of our time - Jean-Paul Satre.

An intellectual and an idealist, able to speak coherently about Aristotle, Kant, Marx, Gide or Faulkner, he also loved poetry, and was equally at home with Keats as with Sara De Ibáñez, his favorite writer. It is said that he knew Kipling's "If" by heart.

Guevara suffered from a life-long asthmatic condition that might have prevented any other man from participating in guerilla warfare as he did, but he was determined to not let his ailment interfere with his ideals for a just society. This condition may be why, as a doctor, he specialized in allergies.

His execution in Vallegrande at the age of 39 only enhanced Guevara's mythical stature. That Christ-like figure laid out on a bed of death with his uncanny eyes almost about to open; those fearless last words ("Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man") that somebody invented or reported; the anonymous burial and the hacked-off hands, as if his killers feared him more after he was dead than when he had been alive: all of it is scalded into the mind and memory of those defiant times.

No lo vamos a olvidar! We won't let him be forgotten.

• 4 years ago

Che Guevara Hero

• 6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How is Che Guevara a 'revolutionary hero'?

I find it amusing how there are t-shirts and banners with Che's face imprinted on them, and teenagers saluting him non-stop, when I've researched him thoroughly, and he was merely responsible for murders and executions that were not based on a fair trial. Regardless of the amount of...

Source(s): che guevara 39 revolutionary hero 39: https://shortly.im/e6JvP
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, just as the man on the Clapham omnibus, I'd say the myth behind the man is more important than the man or his deeds. It's what he stood for rather than how he got his message or power that turned him into a legend. It's easy for people far removed from the terror or knowledge of what you've researched to simply hold on to an image of anti-establishment, which basically what he's become.

I even see his face all over t-shirts in China, which is bizarre seeing as although he was as far as I know anti-capitalist which would fit well he was also pro-people power and obviously a revolutionary, which would obviously not go down well in the PRC at all, but maybe they see him as anti-western and US in particular which helps push the reality to one side.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

he wasn't if anything he was a failed revolutionary - Bolivia and the Congo he had no support of the local people in these countries and failed to gather enough support and his desire for conflict got him killed in the end.

he was however a good leader, in Castro's revolutionaries he was the only non-Cuban and was their doctor but rose quickly proving himself to be a strong character and a loyal man to Castro. he became a commander of many men and was a close friend of Castro with his face adorning many murals.

it is in his death that he has become more than he was, the photograph of his bullet riddled body is seen as almost Christ like in latin america and his stance and bravery in death 'shoot me you coward' or something along those lines has seen him glorified by Cuba and become the face of rebellion across the world

• Texas
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

yeah but he has a really recognizable facial outline, and this is good for T-shirts and other paraphenalia for folks that have difficulty finding a true hero to worship.

I have heard his influence described as educational... in the sense of indoctrination, forcing people to learn and understand the new way of government.

Pro-Communists may appreciate that he helped significantly to remove the opposition through appropriate "retraining" techniques.

So with his great emphasis as a Pinnacle of Education for the Masses, many of our College Intelligencia may consider him to be a peer.

You may point out to them this is sort of perverted, and then you will get Cs, or you can pretend to agree with your commie professors and get As, decide what you like and play the game such as it is.

Oh and he was a rebel biker hero too, he did a Commie version of Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance....

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

just read all the nonsense that liars say about him, how much they hate him even after 40 yrs, and you'll know how great he was. even people like me who hate communists, love che, the idiot believed in humanity!

Source(s): aristocratic ex marxist
  • Tim D
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Look at another “revolutionary hero” who also caused people to die without fair trial, who changed his allegiance, successfully fought his former employers killing thousands, displayed altruism in placing the civilian administration ahead of military, is saluted non-stop and appears on currency – look at a 1 dollar note.

It is amusing how “thorough research” on Guevara has failed to turn up anything that suggests he might be a hero, are your sources biased perhaps? Look at his career in Guatemala and the actions of the United Fruit Company and the CIA against a democratically elected leader, imagine how that would affect a young idealistic doctor. You can certainly be a hero if you see an injustice and instead of walking away face up to it.

• 1 decade ago

No he is not a revolutionary hero, at least not to me. He was a murder and a terrorist. Its proven that he order the killing of 179 people during his time in cuba, but it's believed that about 2000 ppl lost their lifes because of him. Overall he shall be responsible for the death of 10.000 ppl. and I don't think that this makes him a hero.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.