42 and hip replacement due,any tips on recovery gadgets for the house post op?

I've had both hips replaced in separate surgeries. Here's what we did:

--Put up hand railings on both sides of all our stairs. (They previously had only a railing on one side)

--Installed a taller toilet fixture in one bathroom (since then, we have equipped a second bath with another tall fixture as we now prefer it to the squatty kind)

--purchased a set of handles that mounted under the toilet seat (this was left there for 2 years!)

--purchased a showerhead on a long hose so I could shower seated or without bending over too far. We like this better than the regular fixed showerhead so it's still there!

As for "gadgets" I found these things very helpful. I couldn't get dressed or undressed without my:

--dressing stick

--sock helper

--long-handled shoe horn

This equipment was rented:

--commode that also fit over the toilet. I also used this in the shower a few times - it could double as a seat so I could sit down and shower)

--walker

--crutches and cane (I purchased thewse items)

Other things I needed:

--reacher

--long handled sponge or net brush for washing lower body

--kneeling bench (for use much later when I needed to get up and down from the ground such as when I gardened)

--a bag that fit on my walker so I could carry things with me (such as water bottle, portable phone, etc.)

Some patients also use (but I did not):

--grab bars installed in strategic locations in bathroom

--a leg lifter device to assist in lifting the operated leg into bed

I'v had 2 hip replacements and am recovering from a revision so I would say that a long handled grabber (litter picker) is essential as you will not be able to bend down and its great for picking things up, reaching stuff, helping you get dressed and scratching your feet when they itch!

Get a stool for your shower cubicle if you have one and a good non slip bath mat and if theres a steep step to your cubicle a non-slip step is very helpful. Check with your hospital or NHS (are you in UK?) rehab service as they may be able to supply you with all these items - mine did.

I was searching online for aids as I can now get about to do a bit of housework but still can't bend or kneel and I saw a very handy tray with a carrying handle which would be very useful for carrying stuff when you can use just one crutch rather than 2. Also 'Betterware' do a long handled bathroom cleaner.

One thing that I have found invaluable is a small table that you can use whilst in an armchair or bed (a bit like the ones that you get in hispital but smaller) as you may find it not very easy to sit up at a table to have meals at first. I use it for my laptop as well.

I'm sure there are other things butcan't think of any at the moment.

Good luck with your op.

Source(s): 3 major hip operations
  • M

An elevated toilet seat will also be helpful in the weeks after surgery. There is also an Web site for people who are recovering from hip and knee surgery that you might want to check out. People on the site are preparing for or have had hip and knee surgeries and can answer any question you may have: On Our Feet.com (a Delphi Forum). If you cannot reach it, type in Robin's Knee Replacement and go in the back door. Robin has had both hip and knee replacements. Everyone on the site is helpful. They helped me while I was recovering from a total knee replacement. Good luck to you.

Source(s): On Our Feet.com

Before I got arthritis, I enjoyed an active lifestyle that included swimming, walking, bicycling.. But when I started getting arthritis, everyday life became difficult. The more I walked the worse it [the arthritis pain] got, the pain was like a knife twisting inside. Sometimes my hip would give out, it just wouldn't support me. Then there was the sharp pain. Before surgery, the pain was absolutely debilitating. I was getting totally disabled. I couldn't walk. I couldn't stand. That's when I decided that I needed to do something. Once at church I met an very old friend of mine who suffered from the same pain as mine and that’s when she recommended me Fly2india4health Consultants in India , my first thought about surgery in India was fear. I researched on my condition and my possible treatment options. I also spoke with the associate orthopedic surgeon with Fly2india4health Consultants who gave me educational material to help set my expectations after surgery. I was also been told that I would be up the same day as surgery and I was. The most important thing after the surgery is exercise. After surgery, I didn't have to take a lot of pain medication - maybe for 2 or 3 days. I attribute that to the skill of my surgeon. I was driving two weeks after surgery, Had I known it was going to be this easy, I would have had it done much earlier. If u need any orthopaedic care I will certainly advice you to go to Fly2india4health Consultants!

Source:

http://www.fly2india4health.com/

We have had a baby monitor in our bedroom for the last 6 years. It came with two small speakers. We have one in the computer room and one in the kitchen. My husband bought it for me. I get severe pains and "Charlies" in my legs - when I yell he comes running. We call it a baby monitor - because he bought it in the baby dept. of Wal-Mart. It is indeed a baby monitor - but it works for anyone - It sits on my night stand about 3 feet away. They have them with a camera/web cam - "I would not want that, by all means" If we have visitors - they can also hear the monitor. That's okay - if I need him - visitors or not - I need him. The cost is reasonable. You could buy it - try it - if it doesn't serve the need - take it back - they are good about returns - I would go to the service desk and ask to return it if it doesn't work for you. All three parts have plugs to plug into the wall socket. It has a volume adjustment on it also. DeeJay.

If you see yourself “short” by society requirements and really bothering you then you need a modify, a change that you will find here, https://tr.im/CTvHb .

Grow Taller 4 Idiots is an incredible guide that you will allow you to grow taller by releasing the HGH hormone, irrespective of how old you are.

The HGH, the Human Growth Hormone is really a hormone that will you find normally in the human body. Boys and women that are teenagers have an increased quantity of HGH in their system when compared with older people. As you mature, the amount of HGH starts to decline rapidly.

HGH is in charge of height grow, developing muscles and also losing fat and this book may educate you on how to complete to produce it in your body.

Diabetes is among the most common disorders in the world today. Here are a few natural remedies that can be helpful in reducing the sugar levels in a diabetic patient https://tr.im/iW6jP

Despite various researches done and precautions taken, one cannot predict who will suffer from diabetes. Depending on the type and severity, every diabetic patient should be given medications.

There are several changes you can make to your diet and lifestyle that will reduce the chances of hair loss. Read here https://tr.im/iTwPg

Protein is the building block of life as well as the building block of each tissue in your body, including your hair.

Vitamin A is crucial to healthy hair because it “works with the fat synthesis.” Food products rich in vitamin A include leafy greens like kale, carrots, and eggs.

3

Source(s): Ways to Build Muscle http://emuy.info/MuscleStrengthHealth/?940u

2

Source(s): Increase Your Height http://sparkindl.info/GrowTallerFast/?6g9s