Emergency! Need to access hard drive. 10 points!? (moved)?

I'm sorry; I don't know how this ended up in the hardware section, so here goes in software.

Here's my problem; I (being stupid, I know), renamed nvsvc32.exe to nvsvc32.exe.old. Now, system32\config\system is corrupted.

I could go through recovery console, but it's risky, so I need to know; how can I go into the computer's hard drive itself, using the operating system from the cd? This is Windows XP. The operating system on the hard drive is SP3 but I am using a boot cd in SP1a. I know how to rename it and everything, but I need to rename the old file back to what it was. Preferably, I would like to have a command prompt pop up allowing me to access the C drive.

In case this helps, I have a Vista cd, which I know how to access the command prompt with. Since I only need to access the hard drive, and only once, is this a possible solution?

If any of you know how, I would be extremely grateful and will give 10 points. And please, step by step instructions. I don't know computers in this area that well. Thanks!

You already said you could access a command prompt. Use the rename command to rename the file back to what it was!

• DrDave

Put the disk in, reboot, run it. When you come to the prompt that asks you if you want to install or repair the existing, choose the repair. It should reload the corrupt or missing files without destroying any data you have created or saved.

• Just rename the file extension like you did before.

Well, that stinks. I'll try to help you to the best of my ability. OK?

Here goes!

Basically, everything you have there is correct, so go ahead and rename your file! Enjoy!

Source(s): My personal experiences.

What does the computer do now when you switch it ON? How far will it go in the boot process before it fails? What does the failure say?

• ?

use the cd, and in the prompts select repair. Maybe it wll fix your mistake.