Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

Somali pirate solution?

make it mandatory for all cargo ships to have 4 US military soldiers with automatic machine guns covering 4 sides & to shoot any somali pirate who attempt to even get close to any cargo ships. wouldn't that be a good use of our tax dollars & our military?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

Unfortunately the answer to this problem lies deep within the Somalian culture itself. The Somali's have been fighting each other for more than two generations using modern weapons. The local kids know how to use an AK47 the way western kids know how to use an xbox 360. There is an entire population being brought up without the basic requirements like fresh food, clothing , medicine, shelter and the only way that they know how to get it is to steal and / or kill for it. When so called War Lords run the country you either join them or be controlled by the unjust laws they create and suffer. The pirates grew up in these conditions and piracy is the only " trade " they know. Please don't think I'm condoning piracy in any way, I'm just trying to show that the problem can't be fixed by killing a few pirates and sinking their boats. The Somalians have to sort out their country and create a government that can control it's people and it's borders (including maritime ones). In the mean time it seems that China and America are sending warships to deter the pirates but this alone will do nothing for the long term safety of the area.

• 1 decade ago

The current anti piracy effort only has 4 ships to cover a million square miles.

Here's what they should do to get more ships patrolling the area:

Get the Cruise Ship industry involved!

Get a couple dozen Cruise Ships and mount several dozen 50 cal machine guns & Grenade Launchers all around on the Prominade deck (both sides of the ship).

Man the guns with eager passengers.

Have them pay for their own ammo. Similar to how we paid to shoot skeet from cruise ships in the past.

Have the participents wear a flack vest, but still have them sign a disclaimer, in case the pirates get lucky and shoot a passenger.

Advertise these cruises as "Pirates of Somalia turkey shoot".

:o)

• 1 decade ago

Somali pirates are poor. They get weapons cheap from the black market and steal ships for ransom. All they want is money and taking ships hostage is the best the pirates came up with. It is important to help Somalia increase money flow by whatever means deem reasonable so that the pirates have no reason to take ships hostage.

• 1 decade ago

I really do not think there is any solution to this, the more you start fighting them, the more they will turn against any American. They did not really go kill before, but used hostages as bait to get money, now they are out to possibly kill. So this will increase the conflict, and we can't really be caught up in another mess. Remember Mogadishu? What happened there with U.S. troops, have a look at the movie Black Hawk Down.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I agree with the use of military personnel onboard or following the cargo ships.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Or just wipe Somalia off the face of the earth since it is a pointless country anyways!

• 1 decade ago

That is an expensive solution...it puts our troops in harms way and costs way to much for the end game.

*"I love the smell of napalm in the morning". Deliver it by drone and end the situation quickly and inexpensively.

Source(s): *Quote from the film: Apocalypse Now (1979)
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

considering we have taken in so many Somalians lately, (i currently live in Minnesota and there are a ton of new somalians) i say nuke the country of somalia. problem solved for little money

LMAO

Vote for World War III for President 2012

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Perhaps that's a temporary solution while trying to solve the problem-and stop them from doing what they're doing.

• 1 decade ago

I agree with shoot more, bargain less. Not with our tax dollars. Privatize

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.