PJ

The "Big 4" of metal..........................?

Nope, I'm not asking about Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax or Slayer.

Instead, what bands make up YOUR current Big 4 of metal? Please stick to bands that are still putting out music.

Links are always appreciated

BQ- If you've picked up Crack the Skye, what do you think?

Interesting answers so far...thanks guys and gal(s)

KP- I agree with your take on metal not needing to be "extreme". I tend to find bands that are overly "evil" to be little more than caricatures of the stereotypes.

BTW....Mine:

Tool

Isis

Mastodon

??????

I don't have a number four for current, modern metal, which was the purpose of asking this question. Opeth, In Flames & Meshuggah are all close, but I'm not ready to cement them there.

No td's from me, folks

Morning Darth! Thanks for the Orange Goblin link, I've been meaning to look into them. That was bluesy-er than I was expecting. Here's one in return-

Atomic Bitchwax- So Come On

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlX0Q9vSDbY

Youtube thumbnail

Lep- No worries, man. Most of the bands everyones mentioned are still putting out music, so they still fit.

Darth- LOL That Van Canto was....interesting! Not bad, mind you, just interesting

• Favorite Answer

do the 4 need to be famous?? i mean like metallica, maiden etc..or bands like opeth ( that r famous in the underground)??...

anyway..my 4:

Dream Theater

These guys(along with few 2-3 other bands) revived the prog style 70s music in the 90s..a time where 'proper metal' almost took a backseat..these guys turned out to be a more metalish jethro tull & rush...i think DT needs to be credited for keeping metal alive during the 90s...

(along with pantera..although pantera was more accessible...and lets not talk abt death metal bands...if u see it that way, metal never died)

Amorphis

U can call them the Anthrax of the original big 4...they were arguably the 1st melodeath band & made some killer albums...they're still going on strong..though again they've remained underground thru out their career

Morbid Angel

I wanted to put Death here but since they're history now....well...anyway..morbid angel..i dont think many will disagree here...pioneers of not just death metal but they've influenced almost all the technical metal that has followed...amazing band...still has the balls to deliver powerful stuff..

Black Sabbath (they're still together)

Oh yeah!!...i had to choose sabbath or maiden....i decided with the mom of metal...had an amazing 70s era...a decent 80s and a bad 90s...but after the reunion they've put up some amazing live shows....no need to mention their influence...u must've heard of it even if u havent listened to their music

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Helloween

Dream Theater

Hey! Another Atomic Bitchwax Fan!

I love the debut album.

And Darth, Orange Goblin is awesome. My favorite song is "Vagrant Stomp"

• Leslie

Metallica - Master of Puppets Anthrax - Indians Slayer - Angel of Death Megadeth - Hook in Mouth Grunge is week and is inferior. It has no place in life and is only made for eradication. Metal will not lose, the lyrics, style, and vocals are far more diverse than any other type of music on this earth. All I can say is “Metal or Die” (-Exodus). If you think otherwise your uneducated. Thrash Till Death!!!!!!!!!!!!! \m/\m/ “Metal is king, others just challenge or imitate but fail everyday” – Dave Mustaine “There is two types of music. Metal and bull sh*t.” – Bruce Dickenson

Da** it! You had to say " bands that are still putting out music"

#1: Five Finger Death Punch

#2: Iron Madien

#3: Opeth

#4: Slayer xD

Symphony X, Opeth, Tool, Gojira

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica and Pantera

Iron Maiden

Amon Amarth

Nightwish

The Faceless

Pantera

In Flames

Sepultura

Dark Tranquility

Metallica-with the metal for the masses release of the black album made them the biggest metal band if not biggest ever!

Maiden-30 plus years 3 lead singers and still Eddie is alive and kicking

Mastodon-They are the future of Metal IMO

Motorhead-Lemmy is God!

Dream Theater

Metallica

Tool

Opeth