Credit for previous no claims bonus in the UK?

I am asking this on behalf of a friend who sold his car in 2003 and has since been travelling abroad, but not driving. He has returned to the UK and is very hard up, but needs to get a car of some sort for purposes of work. He is very upset that his previous insurers, Direct Line car insurance, won't give him any credit at all for his previous no claims bonus because it dates back to more than three years ago. It therefore looks as though he will have to pay an inflated price for his insurance -- unless someone here knows of an insurance company in the UK which would take into account his previous no claims bonus and give him even a partial discount for it. Can anybody help, please?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

When there is a gap in cover the NCB normally ceases and you start again.

It would be worth taking to some brokers and giving them the full story as it is not unknown for them to be able to give introductory bonuses in some circumstances - I have got them on 3 occasions.

Comparison and direct websites will be of little use - he needs to get on the phone

• 1 decade ago

All car insurers will request proof of continuous insurance, in order to offer a no claims bonus discount on a new policy.

Very few will allow a break of more than 2 years - none will allow a break of 3 years.

• 1 decade ago

I know that is so unfair!! but i think thats just insurers policy!! it ridiculous but i dont know of any insurance that would. sorry this is no help at all. :(

• 1 decade ago

call www.planinsurance.co.uk they can maybe help (they are brokers)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.