promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Jethro
Lv 5
Jethro asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

A couple of Spanish tense questions?

If you're talking about a survey from a couple of years ago in which people expressed opinions about something, which tense would you use when referring to what they thought? E.g ...personas sentían que los americanos tratan los inmigrantes...

Would sentir and and tratar be in the imperfect for this? The preterite? Would they both be in the same tense?

One more thing, when saying Pienso que... would any following conjugated verbs be in the subjunctive form?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

I believe the first would be preterite and the second would be imperfect. The people only said this one time(the time of the survey), but they were referring to a time(when I assume) was for a while that the americans treated the immigrants some way. Also, I don't think you should use sentir. They felt in English means they thought or believed. In spanish I don't think it translates the same. You should probly use creer. Also, another picky thing, it's not good to use personas too often. Try to say the type of people they were, los estudiantes o los medicos.

Las personas creyeron que los americanos trataban

another picky thing, if you're referring to people from the united states, say norteamericanos because it doesnt include central america and what not. weird i know.

And if you say Pienso que, you just use indicative, NOT subjunctive. It's hard to grasp that in English, but if you say I believe or I think (Creo o pienso) then you are saying from your perspective it is completely true, no uncertainty. In English, believe and think are sometimes used to express uncertainty which then you would use subjunctive.

Sorry for making this so lengthy.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 4 years ago

He trabajado = I have labored (lately) Trabajé = I labored (many years in the past) I used to paintings = Solía trabajar (SOLER isn't a far-used verb) ======================================... PRESENT PERFECT - PRETÉRITO PERFECTO ======================================... he trabajado = I have labored has trabajado = you've got labored (tú) ----- casual ha trabajado = you've got labored *(Usted)--- formal ha trabajado = he has labored ha trabajado = she has labored ha trabajado = it has labored hemos trabajado = we have now labored han trabajado = you've got labored **(Ustedes) han trabajado = they have got labored ======================================... PAST SIMPLE - PRETÉRITO INDEFINIDO ======================================... trabajé = I labored trabajastes = you labored (Tú) ------ casual trabajó = you labored *(Usted) --- formal trabajó = he labored trabajó = she labored trabajó = it labored trabajamos = we labored trabajaron = you labored ** (Ustedes) trabajaron = they labored ======================================... TIPS: ===== First of all, it is extra easy to make use of "Usted" style than "Tú" style for a number of causes: a million) You are like extra well mannered and Spanish-speakme humans like this. two) The Spanish conjugation is less complicated. The second character and the 3rd character within the singular are the identical. * three) The identical happens within the plural.** four) The "Vosotros" style and "Vosotras" style (second character within the plural) are ONLY utilized in Peninsular Spain. So, I suggest you to make use of "Usted" style rather of "Tú" style ideally. This is why, the Canarian and Spanish American, we do to simplify and we ONLY use "Tú" style whilst speakme to near a person.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.