Do you think Tax payers should get the choice of where the government spends your tax?

For example

If you pay £200 per month on tax, should you be allowed to choose where that money is spent?

i.e £100 this month towards education and £100 towards NHS

Our money, our choice.

Not vote for a party once in 5 years and watch them give it away to bankers, build nuclear bombs, etc

Favorite Answer

To an extent yes, but not to the extent you say. I think there are certain things; infrastructure/NHS/schools/policing and security and firefighters/military that are essential, and a huge amount of the total pot should always go to fund them period. There should never be a question on that.

HOWEVER, saying that the rest of the stuff Brown wastes our money on we should absolutely have a say on!

Benefits culture, immigrants, subsidies to Europe, foriegn aid, ministers 'perks' and expenses, propping up banks and any other buisness they see fit, etc. These are all things I do not want my tax money to be spent on, and I think that if the majority of us demand that those payments stop and be spent on better things, then they should stop. No questions asked. At the end of the day it is OUR money and they are there to serve US. Not the other way around! I think it is about time someone reminded them of that.

no we have an elected body to do this. if you think you have more rights than the rest of us then you are wrong if you want to change things then get your self voted in and you will find we do not make nuclear bombs for nothing etc. if you save £100 month for a year when you or someone in your family broke a limb you will not have paid in enough to go private and will be turned away but you will be treated by the nhs

• Forty2

We choose our elected reps and they are supposed to decide that on our behalf. Unfortunately, the system doesn't really work that way. The politicians see their campaigns as their opportunity to con the people into electing them office and then they basically auction off their power to which ever special interest gives them the most money.

• flint

I think it's a good idea, but I don't think it would work. I am sick of my taxes going to foreign countries as supposed aid when it's actually to prop up governments. Charity begins at home. I don't think it should be wasted on immigrants either, the people of this country should come first.

I don't think that would work. Too many people would put their money going towards the NHS, education and the armed forces and there wont be enough money would be going in other places.

• In theory, yes. But that is why we elect representatives and senators to congress. They are there to (supposedly) represent our interests.

Oh, I see this is a question for the UK. . . Sorry! I was answering for the US.

Tax payers do get to choose where their tax dollars go by electing the officials. Democracy at its finest.

No. Just pretend you $$ go to something you support. The government spends plenty of money - you aren't funding all of it.

yes... and id make sure that the ungenuine dole claimers who just cant be bothered to work but have no disabilities stopping them doing so, get nothing from me

• rwb13

we do get a choice, it's called a vote. unfortunately we aren't using our choice very wisely.