Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 decade ago

thinking of getting artificial grass or astro turf advice?

we have a tiny garden about 5m x 8m we have a trampoline and chute and because they take up most of the garden the grass is just a mud heap, my neighbour has the fake grass and it looks great wondered if this was an option how much is this? and what are the pros n cons? thanks alot

Favorite Answer

Our city took a "much" larger area and did it as a test to preserve water.It really didn't look all that bad and seemed to work.I would be inclined to say a small back yard such as yours for a playground,sure.Before putting it down make sure the ground is sloped for proper water drainage,base and dry.

My Best

The technology has really moved on and artificial grass can look good rather than cheesy.Can get slippery if overhead trees have canopy drip,can discolour a bit if trees around but can be powerwashed to restore.Sitting on fake grass is not really pleasant but for your needs go for it (trampolines are bloody dangerous it has the highest incidence of children getting hurt of any toy)

It might bre an option if you liked the look of it, but personally I'd use bark chippings for a play area. Dig out the area to a depth of about 6inches, lay weedproof permeable membrane, and fill with chippings. Contact your local tree surgeon for the chippings, they will deliver a big heap to your drive, much cheaper than in bags from the garden centre. The chippings would look ( and be) more natural than fake grass, and would be softer and safer for the kids to fall on.

Just make sure all dogs STAY off of it... my town's high school football field has that astro turf now, and, because it's no longer a living breathing part of the earth, it's pretty disastrous when dogs poop on it. The poop just sits instead of going back to the circle of life.

To be honest, I've only seen it when i was in las Vegas and it looked bloody fantastic, i ask the groundsman what it was and he told me it was astro, i ask why they had it and the reply i got was.. the weather.. it didn't rain a lot but when it does it floods and astro can take the lot, no matter what the weather is like. Hope this helps and if i was you ide go for it. good luck.