Diann C asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

For the parents against vaccines, do you still buy Pampers?

This is a genuine question, one that I've been thinking about almost a year.

I selectively vaccinate and I struggle with buying Pampers because of them sending potentially harmful vaccines to people who don't have the benefit of being able to do their own research or access to decent follow-up care in case of a bad reaction.

I am not looking to cause a fight or a flame war, I am just looking for selectively vaccinating or non-vaccinating parents' thoughts and opinions.

Yes, they could release smallpox and guess what? Most of the people in the United States under the age of 40 or so would get it.

They don't routinely vaccinate against it anymore.

I don't really buy Pampers, or Huggies. I buy store brand diapers, cheaper and they work.

I am just looking for opinions on this issue, it's one that I don't think people have really thought about it. If Pampers worked for my little one then I would most likely buy them, but they don't.

yes even if i was against it i would the other moms in other countries probably would love to have there kids vaccinated•

• ?

I know when i heard about the pampers things and them sending vaccines to 3 world countries (for the pampers u buy)

I told my mom and she stopped getting pampers as well. A sick thing i heard is that they were sending the vaccines (to 3rd world countries) with mercury in them (since now they dont allow thimerisol vax to be given to babies in the u.s or so thats said) So now the rate of autism has been strangly been RISING since then..HMMM wonder what it could be...

Oh and not sure where the small pox talk came from but its eradicated from the world, and the only samples of the virus is in 2 major labs.. one in Russia and one in U.s... So unless someone breaks into a lab and find the small pox sample and spreads it around then ..no I highly doubt we're going to ever see any case of small pox again.

Personally I wont ever vaccinate after learning about them.. but I think if i were to vaccinate it would never be to a 2 month old BABY or 1 day old (hep B)... Thats just RIDICULOUS unless you're going to be doing some serious traveling and you're for sure your baby wont have a bad reaction or weak immune system.. Its all risky..

Doctors or a NURSE shoots your infants up with 3 virus' at once ASSUMING your child is strong enough to take all that... ASSUMING your child isnt allergic.. Its all RISKY..

I haven't actually checked this out, but from what I understand, the small print about Pampers and vaccines says something to the effect of "Pampers will donate seven cents (USD) to enable UNICEF to provide a tetanus vaccine to a pregnant woman or woman of child-bearing age in the less industrialized world."

So, really, it's a very small donation and is reserved only for tetanus vaccines. And, for people at high risk, I strongly encourage tetanus vaccines. In the "less industrialized world" those women targeted are very susceptible to tetanus, and it's a big deal. Even in our "industrialized" world, tetanus can be a big deal, especially for high risk groups like pregnant women.

While I understand your position, I don't quite agree. It's not like they're just forcing vaccines on uneducated people to give them all of the vaccinations we normally give. So, while I don't use Pampers and wouldn't automatically support them because they're part of this program (it's a pretty small donation and almost like a scare tactic "Buy these diapers or babies will die with out our vaccines..."), I don't intentionally not buy them because of this.

• Im a non vaccer and I do buy Pampers when needed. I read the fine print and it's a Tetanus vaccine for a pregnant woman.

If they want the vaccine in other countries then thats fine with me, just like it is here.

Your right that they aren't able to do the research and I havent thought about that.

I don't buy the diapers with the intetion of giving someone a vaccine I do b/c I don't like Huggies.

**If smallpox gets loose we are all screwed b/c they stopped vaccing for that a while ago.

I think ppl should really research and then they'll see it is not all vaccines that could be harmful.I also choose to vaccinate but put off some of them til they were a little older.My neighbor is one who unfortunaltly choose to vaccinate and her child now it autistic, but the pampers vaccine is for tetnas(not a harmful vaccine) the vaccines that are potentially harmful are the 4 in 1 or 3 in 1 which you can request to have done sepratly.I was one who was extremely nervous about vaccines, but after much research i chose to vaccinate my children.

• Lisa

I have never used Pampers, but if I did, I would be boycotting them right now.

Instead of tetanus vaccines, how about teaching the women to sterilize scissors in boiling water before cutting the umbilical cord, and to stop spreading animal dung on the umbilical cord stumps. That would prevent the majority of tetanus cases, with absolutely no side effects.

I saw a commercial today and thought the same thing. Only I though, wow how funny. There's people here deciding not to vaccinate, while tons of children in third world countries are dying, because people CAN'T vaccinate there. It just is so so sad. If no one vaccinated in this country with those potentially harmful vaccines children would be dying from all those potential deadly diseases.

We buy both pampers and huggies. But we dont buy pampers because of helping vaccines, but they are good diapers.

I've seen the diseases in third world countries first hand. We are blessed to have the benefit of selectively vaccinating our children here. In other countries a mother who doesn't vaccinate is playing Russian roulette with her child's life. I think it is ridiculous to try and push our western ideals on other cultures dealing with different situations.

Source(s): I have a BA in Cultural Anthropology from UCSB

The odds of getting sick from the vaccine are far less than the chance of getting what the vaccine is preventing.

I am pro nessicary vaccines and our family buys Pampers.