Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

My hot water isnt working but my hot water tank is on...but its leaking...could it be carbon minoxide?

I'm worried right now because my hot water tank is leaking some liquid substance and i dnt know if it leaks carbon monoxide or not.

Doubtful. Carbon Monoxide is a gas.It could leak it out the vent hood on top if it is a Natural Gas Water Heater. However, if your hot water heater is leaking liquid it is most likely just water mixed with whatever else has mixed with the elements and caused it to stop working. Might just be old age, use, hard water, etc. But can't tell that specifically without being there. Call a plumber unless you know someone handy. If it's an electric water heater I would shut it off at the panel as there is no need to waste electricity or have it short out further. If it's a natural gas heater, I would probably leave it running unless you know something about turning off the gas, of which I'm not going to tell you here. For if you don't know how to do it. You probably shouldn't be doing it. Good luck.

• toefu

Carbon monoxide is in the air, it's not a liquid...I suspect that you're seeing just water...You need to find the shut off valve for the gas that goes to the tank or you may end up with carbon monoxide in your air..And call a plumber to get a new tank..