How to deal with unreasonable mom?
I feel that she expects too much from me.
I'm seventeen and she still says I am too irresponsible to drive.
I do all my chores like I'm suppose to do. I say goodbye to her in the morning (she doesn't want to wake up early so she pays someone to take me to school). She used to complain about how I didn't care about her because I never said goodbye.
Sure enough, she has more stuff to complain about tonight. She told me how it was unexceptable for me to sleep instead of going to dinner (I have AP classes and i stay up late doing homework, so I took a nap today when i got home, which is at 6) She goes on about how I don't do what she expects and she does not feel as though I care about her still. And how my friend would never do this to her parents. She doesn't say anything positive. Ever.
So, I listen to her for 10 minutes as she proceeds to complain, without saying a word. Afterward, she wanted to know what i thought. I told her she doesn't want to know, but she insisted. I told her I felt like she always complained, and that she was pushing me away from her.
She denied this. Then she told me to get out of her face and that I would only be let out of the house this weekend to take the SATs. I have a school dance this weekend and an environmental expo.
My mom constantly complains. She reads my texts, emails, instant messages. She won't let me hang out with anyone who she has not conversed with the parents first.
I don't turn 18 until next February. Any advice? :/
I do have supports.. but few. I'm an only child, so are both my parents. My dad just had a kid with my step mom, so they are busy. He also lives two hours away.
She says that's unnecessary to state, because it's just expected.
1. I stay on the weekends with my dad sometimes. I can't move in with him, I've asked since I was bout 10.
2. Possibly, aha, but she is always like this.
3. She barely has free time. She is a doctor running her own practice. But for some reason she always has room to squeeze in some complaints. aha.
4. I have explained to her that I have a lot of homework. She still wants me in bed at my bed time.
5. Good idea.. ive tried that in the past.. maybe it will work better now that I'm older.
6. I make plans with friends like a week ahead of time to get her approval- she won't let me do anything at the last minute. I haven't gone out with friends in around 5 months.
7. I've asked her why I can't drive. She still claims that I am irresponsible.
Yes, I have asked her how I am irresponsible. She always seems to have a vague response. So it makes it really hard for me to do anything to show her I'm responsible. I am making a conscience effort though.
I think counseling has helped- but I think I've had more than my share and it really is no use anymore.
I had thought of suicide when i was younger, but was never serious about it because I knew things would pass. I would never take my life- I plan to live a happy life and help others.
I know her best interest is in mind.
Funny you suggest the writing thing- I do that when I get really stressed out with her. It really helps me organize my thoughts and take things in a new perspective.