Are there any excersizes that will help my middle and ring finger move more independently playing piano?

I am trying to learn to play piano but when I press a note with my middle finger I involuntarily exert some force with my ring finger, (and vice versa) resulting in hitting both keys at once. Are there any excercises that can help me with this?

Playing scales over and over will help train those fingers.

• Judith

Actually, the real answer is because your muscles fuse into one band of muscles further up the arm. The fingers flex from muscle bands that contract, but they actually connect to your fingertips with tendons, and these tendons actually start before your wrist, so that only the tendons and very small amounts of muscles pass through the retinaculum and carpel tunnel in the wrist. As you go further up towards the elbow, you will find that the muscle bands will fuse together since there isn't enough space for them to exist in separate bands. The nervous innervation is separate because you can flex them separately, however, since the bands of muscles are fused, flexing one of them partially flexes the other. There are 6 muscles that flex the fingers. But only two of them specifically flex the 4 fingers, and one of them flexes the thumb. The last three actually assist in flexing the whole hand and not fingers. Flexor digitorum profundus and flexor digitorum superficialis.

the ring finger is attached to the pinky and middle finger... you need to exercise the ring finger.... there is a set of exercises where you hold all of your fingers down on the keys. only lift one at a time while holding the rest down. these are called Leschetizky Exercises and were done for this exact purpose.

this book was printed in 1905 (i think)

"The Groundwork of the Leschetizky Method"

since it is no longer published you might be able to find a scanned copy somewhere....

hah - here is a complete copy you can download as a pdf

http://books.google.com/books?id=IdwPAAAAYAAJ&dq=h...

Those muscles are connected. Just keep practicing. Try pressing the keys lighter.

Source(s): Practice makes perfect. I play some piano and the flute.