are the jehovahs witnesses a cult ?

ive lost a lifelong friend to the witnesses after lending support to his decision to join them after i said i wasnt intrested in joining he stopped any contact,is this the result of brainwashing? im at a loss at losing a freind of 30 yrs and starting to feel quite bitter towards these people and its not in my nature to be this way.

29 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

all organized religions are cults and JW are the epitome of brainwashing. it's sad but he can't help it b/c they clearly have control over who he can associate with.

• 1 decade ago

There are some pretty ignorant people out there telling you that all religions are cults. These are just simply people that do not want to except a religion because it teaches beliefs. A cult is like a Jim Jones deal or these devil worshipers that tell you how you are going to live your life and you are going to live that life too their rules no exception. Religions ask you to believe something, they are not going to want your head on a platter because you stray or question things. You still have all your rights and are able to carry on the way you want too. The religion you support may not like things you chose but they are understanding. Cults are this is the way and thats it, you fail we get rid of you, you do as we say. Don't even compare the two, retards.

• If he was your friend for 30 years, you should trust his judgment and his explanation as to why the friendship has cooled.

It is unfair to cast aspersions against Jehovah's Witnesses. Obviously your friend found something good and valuable in Jehovah's Witnesses if he joined them.

Why not find out what that is, rather than assume your friend has been "brainwashed."

Your bitterness is selfish and unwarranted, as if you know what is best for your friend, better than he does himself, or that your needs should be more important than his.

Source(s): The HOLY Bible
  • 1 decade ago

Maybe Jehovas Witness maybe a cult but look at the rest, Check out Hell Song, Salvos, Wesley Mission, Uniting Church,Care force Anglicare, Assemblies of God, ST Johns, Talbot, St Canisters etc; just a few where they get richer who all aquire more realestate when needed and when it comes to doing Gods work, well tell me; who is doing such? Jesus preached and saved the poor; why are they rotting in our city fringes and left to die in the street?

Hell Song is big in the music business but what does it do community wise? How do they help the poor? Rich is righteous but if You read the bible, it says oterwise; the rich man will never enter the kingdom so whose the cult?

Catholics committed pedafile crime against helpless children in the name of god those who spoke out too were outcasted; is that not a cult too? Salvos has no help outs to Aboriginals; that policy is totally racist, they supposed to help old drunks, now they leave them for dead and property owners in strife come first. Is that not a cult? Charities charge the poor same price for second hand trash as the rich; they serve bacterial near rotten food for the poor in thier disgraceful soup kitchens then inflict them fear and terror so they dont complain. Is that not humane just like a cult? Why single one totten egg when the rest are rotten as well. Why not have a Royal Commission into charity corruption and see who really is a cult. They all suck and when you've been homeless like me you learn to despise all charities as cults

Source(s): Personal experiance; Sydney 1999- 2000, I was homeless and was forced to seek help but got abused instead, have pictures and documentation plus proof I visited all Sydneys hell holes, still do
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm sorry that you have lost contact with him, but in all reality, Jehovah's Witnesses do not follow man, which is what defines a cult. We follow Jehovah God and his son Christ Jesus. If you'd like to receive ACCURATE information regarding what we really are about, please make sure to visit an accurate source of information at our official website: www.watchtower.org. It will explain almost anything you have a question about.

• 6 years ago

Jehovah's Witnesses are NOT a cult and anyone who has actually done any kind of research concerning Jehovah's Witnesses knows this. People who oppose Jehovah's Witnesses like to use the word 'cult' because this word has a general negative connotation. They are counting on people who are not familiar with Jehovah's Witnesses to simply accept this false label and then ignorantly repeat what they have been told.

The following shows how this label is completely untrue:

Cults are regarded as being small, local groups. In contrast, Jehovah's Witnesses currently number over 7,ooo,ooo and can be found in almost every country of the world.

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/

The World Headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses is in New York. Located there is the Governing Body, a central group of experienced elders who oversee the worldwide congregation.

Jehovah's Witnesses - Their Worldwide Organization and Work

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/good-news-...

--------------------------------------.…

Cults are also regarded as encouraging their adherents to live in groups apart from the rest of society. Many also think of cults as being secretive about their activities or having something to hide.

In contrast, Jehovah's Witnesses live and work in the midst of other people. They have nothing to hide. In fact, they desire to tell anyone who is willing to listen about everything that they believe.

Their book Jehovah's Witnesses—Proclaimers of God's Kingdom correctly notes: "Jehovah's Witnesses are in no sense a secret society. Their Bible-based beliefs are fully explained in publications that are available to anyone. Additionally, they put forth special effort to invite the public to attend meetings to see and hear for themselves what takes place."

Cult members are also associated with following living human leaders.

Yet Jehovah's Witnesses do not look to any human, but rather to Jesus Christ, as their leader. Jehovah’s Witnesses follow what Jesus taught and put it into practice:

See: "Who is Jesus Christ?"

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/good-news-...

That is what it means to be a Christian. Accordingly, Jehovah’s Witnesses strive to adhere strictly to the precepts established by the first Christians.

Jehovah's Witnesses base all of their beliefs, their standards for conduct, and organizational procedures on the Bible. Their worship is a way of life, not a ritual devotion.

Rather than relying solely on hearsay and running the risk of parroting bad information, Jehovah's Witnesses encourage people to investigate this further FOR THEMSELVES. This way, one will be in a position to be properly informed as to the true faith and beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses.

The best way to find out more about Jehovah's Witnesses via the Internet is through the pages of their official website:

Jehovah’s Witnesses—What Do They Believe?

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/g20100...

Recommended Related Articles:

Are Jehovah’s Witnesses a Cult?

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/are-je...

Are Jehovah's Witnesses Really a Cult? - Showing How This Label is Incorrect

http://defendingjehovahswitnesses.blogspot.com/201...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A cult/religion like Scientology?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

YES!

Although that may be a bit harsh...they are more an organisation than a religious denomination.

They are sales rep for a magazine publishing firm although many will not admit or even have knowledge of this.

They def control minds though...weird lot!

Go to TOWERWATCH and see for yourself.

And the person who said about Joseph Smith...that was Mormons, similar and fraudulent but not the same.

• 1 decade ago

my understanding of a cult is a group of people that follow the direction of human leaders with out being able to question what is being taught or have their own opinion on matters of there belief. they must go through their "leader" for direction and cannot go to God directly.

Jesus said I am the Shepperd my flock know me and hear me. JW's are taught that only a "prophet can talk to God" and so you must go through their leader to communicate with Him.

I do believe they are a cult.

Source(s): John chapter 10 verses 26-29 check it out ;)
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Maybe it is the Jehovah's Witnesses who have escaped the brainwashing of Satan & have been set free.

I feel sorry for all you brainwashed people.

Your friend is still your friend .He/she just may not enjoy the things that they used too .

• 1 decade ago

No we are not a cult. It is Jesus and the teachings of Jehovah God we follow. Your friend came into an accurate of knowledge of God. He views a lot of thing differently and has found friends that believe the same as he does and is getting fulfillment emotionally and spiritually. It is very possible that the two of you no longer have anything in common. You have said he is on a different path from you. We are not brainwashed, nor are we dictated to. We have fee will, and choose to follow the bible. Look into it and see what he has found.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.