Poll: How Many of you Considered Philosophy is Useless Subject ?

i think Phsyics,eco,sceince subjects,commerce subjects medical sceince,enginering provide better employment

it is useless to study Philosophy,

• Drew

Define useless and useful please.

For me and my definition, I don't consider it useless at all. I consider philosophy to be quite the opposite in that it feeds and fosters growth in the beliefs and questions of man that are often given less attention and resources because of what I believe you would define as useful.

I am interpreting your definition of useful as a tool to achieve gainful employment. If that is accurate, then I agree. The employment which one can pursue utilizing a philosophy background alone are limited, and often yield much less in terms of monetary rewards than does, say, a physician. And a physicians work is often immediately realizable in its value and contribution. For me, however, it is philosophy that truly makes me wonder and think and ultimately motivates me. If you are lucky enough to have a passion in life, it is because of your own philosophy and take on life. It is because you find some greater worth in one activity or product than others, and it is very insightful and thought provoking to analyze why you came to that conclusion, and how that fits with mankind.

What's wrong with Philosophy? It just gives you the fundamentals of how to deal with the realities of daily living. If ever, this subject must be included as an elective only to those interested. It is just like taking Constitution, where in you are taught basic laws and it is up to you if you will abide by it or not. If ever, I hope they will not teach some Math subjects that are not useable in the actual job. For example, why do you have to compute the ages of three persons which when added will give you a certain number, when very easily you can just ask for a person's age. Why can't they teach the actual things needed in a certain job, the way they do in Japan? I agree with you, some subjects are really a big waste of money and time.

I am going to take a radical view point here.

I think the higher one studies in any subject the more the studies become entwined and the actual subject boundaries are meaningless.

Philosophy as a subject covers many other subjects and by devaluing one; all are devalued.

The course I'm studying at the mo. is inter planetary science:

it involves cosmological philosophy,

geographical and geological feature of planet exploration and recognition,

bio-chemical analysis of samples,

physics and the history of physics with an obviously heavy maths. Some of the planetary features are latin terms.

The same cross subject division occurred when I did my MA too so its not just relevant to inter planetary science.

Additionally, I do feel that if you take out philosophy and morality from medical science things will start getting very bad very quickly, to site just one example.

Other subjects generally provide you with a higher salary and it's generally easier getting a job with hard science subjects. However I think it's the most fascinating subject I know. If I had to choose between something I found fascinating and loved that had a low salary (but high enough to live ok), and a subject that I think toilet cleaning is more interesting than but with a high salary, I'd pick the fascinating subject.So, no, not useless at all!

• A P

I think you have a point. It would be more difficult to earn a good living in philosophy than in those other subjects you mention. I suppose it really depends on how good you are at philosophy compared to other subjects, but perhaps other than in teaching, philosophy would offer fewer openings.

Philosophy means: Love and pursuit of wisdom by intellectual means.

I am happy that you wish to remain ignorant.

For a job yes, but good for helping you to view the world a bit more creatively.

Well until you can actually spell Physics and Science I shall take into account of what you have just said until then your opinion is quite void.

Useless subject does not exist, only useless people exist ;-p

philosophy is more than a subject in school. it permeates our lives. we think about what to do and consider whether it is ethical or not.

philosophy in action.