Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

How much body change can I expect in 12 weeks?

I haven't worked out for about a year or so and am starting back tomorrow.

I will am planning on cardio and resistance exercise workout's at least 3 times a week and will be also watching what I eat.

I am 30 years old, weigh 210lbs (15st) and am 5ft 10 inches. I hope to lose 2 lbs a week with some toning.

Hoping to hear from any of you that have achieved some nice results and any tips or advise also that you have.

Please leave ur comments. Thanks.

Congrats on starting an exercise regime. First off, if you haven't worked out in a while, you will want to start out fairly slow and work your way up. 2-3 lbs a week is definitely achievable and probably a little more in the beginning. For people just starting out, 3 workouts per week is sufficient. When people take on more than their body is prepared, they frequently overtrain, which actually leads to diminished results as well as burnout. So a simple Monday Wednesday Friday full body routine is all you should be doing in the beginning stages. 30 minutes of cardio followed by core strength training that focuses on the large muscle groups. There is no need for isolation exercises at this point. Make sure you work the largest muscles first, followed by the smaller ones. For example:

Chest press- 3 sets/ 10-12 reps

Back (Lat pull down) - 3 sets/ 10-12 reps

Shoulders press - same

Triceps kick backs - same

Biceps curls - same

Legs press or squats- same

Abs crunches - 3 sets/ 20 reps

Some things you want to observe is that you want to change up the exercises fairly frequently, perhaps every few weeks or so, because the body adapts to the same exercise, so you need to "shock" it so to speak and work each muscle from different angles to avoid a plateau from occurring. Also you want to make sure you give your body at least a days rest (sometimes more) in between workouts to allow for sufficient recovery. Muscle is gained through REST and proper nutrition, not from the workout itself.

Now speaking of nutrition, this is 70% of the game. Diet is the most important factor when building muscle and losing weight. The ideal "diet" and mind you this is not really a diet in the traditional sense, but a way of eating. The best way is to eat 5 -6 smalls meals a day that are balanced with protein, carbs and some fat. It's imperative as you begin to progress, that you ingest some form of protein every 4 -6 hours or your body will actually enter catabolic state in which it starts feeding off your own muscle tissue. This is not a huge factor the first few months or so, but it's best to get into the practice of ingesting some form of protein frequently if you expect to continue to see results. Also keep in mind. No matter how many crunches, sit ups or other ab exercises you do, you will not see a six pack without proper diet. Abs are created in the kitchen, not in the gym.

Now as far as supplements are concerned, the most you need is a good daily vitamin, and some protein powder (whey) if you don't have enough time to make natural food every meal, which most of us don't. Do not buy into all the different and expensive supplements out there. They are NOT needed at all. As long as you stay consistent with both your workouts, and diet, you will see amazing results. Good luck to you.

Source(s): Been working out for 20+years.
  • Karen

1

Source(s): Fast Track Muscle Building : http://buildmuscle.oruty.com/?JHMF

Well, going off my boyfriend's example (5'11", went from 250-230 in 2 months and then from 220-200 in 3.5), you COULD lose up to 25 pounds in twelve weeks. It does depend on how "fat" (over ideal) you are. The more overweight you are, the easier it is to start burning. The closer you come to your body's ideal, the longer and more it will take.

I'd think 2lbs a week is a bit ambitious, but worth aiming for. I'd think 15-20 pounds loss overall would be most likely.

That being said, if you put on muscle, you'll be adding back some weight so you might lose 20 pounds of fat and gain 5-10 in muscle.

Make sure your eating about 2000 to 2500 calories a day. And always remember to work out. The cardio sounds good, but make sure it is for at least an hour a day. Two pounds a week sounds right, and if you lift weights you would definitely be toned. Good luck!

12 weeks... umm im not totally sure, but I would say that you could, if you really tried, lose 30lbs in the 12 weeks. it will be a hard thing to achieve, but you could be able to do it! btw do interval training on a running machine for amazing weight loss results. gd luck

My physique did not substitute too lots from 11 weeks to fourteen weeks. interior the 1st trimester did be conscious my epidermis feeling drier than widespread, I had to lotion myself up extra and that i switched shampoos. i'm hardship-unfastened length and that i never began to instruct somewhat one bump till 19 weeks or so. every physique's physique is distinctive and could substitute at distinctive paces and various issues will take place to distinctive women.