Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 decade ago

Can I receive housing benefit whilst owning a property abroad.?

I own a property in my home country. It has tenants, and is leased until 2010. The rental income covers the mortgage payments (actually, I have to add an extra 50 pounds a month, but I am not seeking any funds to help pay mortgage).

I have recently been made redundant, and have no income whatsoever. I am living in a room in a shared house, and would like to know if I could or should qualify for housing benefit.

Please note, before flaming, that I have lived in the UK and paid tax for 7 years. If I was to sell the property now, it wouldn't come close to covering the mortgage on it. It is also leased for another 10 months, so this is not an option. I currently cannot afford my rent - what are my options if Housing Benefit is declined?

no - the council consider it as other income, it HB is declined you may have to consider moving back or selling.

You would DEFINITELY have to declare ownership of the property - It makes NO difference that it is abroad - It's still classed as both income (from the rent you're collecting) and an asset (in that you own, rather than rent the property.)

Benefit rules are clear - You'd be expected to liquidise your asset before they consider you for housing benefit ! It's either that - or move back and live in the place !

You will get the benefit but you must try to sell the house. So after 6 months you need to show you are trying to sell (for more than the mortgage). Also you will need to proove you are loking for a new job.

Ask for help at the citizens advice, because claiming benefits is much harder than finding a job !

Source(s): www.nacab.org.uk

You are not entitled to housing benefit as you own a property...even if it is abroad, of course if you claimed it you would undoubtedly get it, but if you were caught you'd be deported.

in my opinion i desire they get caught, are made to pay off the money and get a offender checklist. There are actual human beings like pensioners suffering in this united states even with working complicated all their lives - actual people who could desire to bypass without because of the fact government funds is being stolen by utilising human beings like your individuals. Its incorrect !!!!