promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 decade ago

Can I receive housing benefit whilst owning a property abroad.?

I own a property in my home country. It has tenants, and is leased until 2010. The rental income covers the mortgage payments (actually, I have to add an extra 50 pounds a month, but I am not seeking any funds to help pay mortgage).

I have recently been made redundant, and have no income whatsoever. I am living in a room in a shared house, and would like to know if I could or should qualify for housing benefit.

Please note, before flaming, that I have lived in the UK and paid tax for 7 years. If I was to sell the property now, it wouldn't come close to covering the mortgage on it. It is also leased for another 10 months, so this is not an option. I currently cannot afford my rent - what are my options if Housing Benefit is declined?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

no - the council consider it as other income, it HB is declined you may have to consider moving back or selling.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You would DEFINITELY have to declare ownership of the property - It makes NO difference that it is abroad - It's still classed as both income (from the rent you're collecting) and an asset (in that you own, rather than rent the property.)

Benefit rules are clear - You'd be expected to liquidise your asset before they consider you for housing benefit ! It's either that - or move back and live in the place !

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You will get the benefit but you must try to sell the house. So after 6 months you need to show you are trying to sell (for more than the mortgage). Also you will need to proove you are loking for a new job.

Ask for help at the citizens advice, because claiming benefits is much harder than finding a job !

Source(s): www.nacab.org.uk
  • 1 decade ago

You are not entitled to housing benefit as you own a property...even if it is abroad, of course if you claimed it you would undoubtedly get it, but if you were caught you'd be deported.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 years ago

in my opinion i desire they get caught, are made to pay off the money and get a offender checklist. There are actual human beings like pensioners suffering in this united states even with working complicated all their lives - actual people who could desire to bypass without because of the fact government funds is being stolen by utilising human beings like your individuals. Its incorrect !!!!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.