Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

hi how do i cook a 1kg gammon joint all i know is that i cook it for an hour?

any suggestions on the best way of cooking it?

how do i start? do i boil first?

do i put it in the oven in water or just foil???

thank you everyone x

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi, try this link, my gammon is fabulous when cooked like this. http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/recipes/show/1-co...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Soak the gammon overnight. This removes some of the excess salt, and makes it more tastier for the palate. After one night, drain the gammon and pat dry. If you boil with Cider, then it will taste wonderful. Boil with carrots, onions, garlic, peppercorns or anything you wish for 3 hours. Then transfer the joint to the oven, peel away the skin, and score the meat with diamond shapes. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes on gas mark 5.

♫ CupCake ♥

• 1 decade ago

If you are going to boil a ham joint, why not make some pea & ham soup at the same time.

BOILED HAM plus PEA & HAM SOUP

For 2 servings of soup

INGREDIENTS

1 ham joint

500ml of water

125g of peas

Ground black pepper to taste

METHOD

Rinse the ham in cold water, then soak the ham in cold water for at least 6 hours, changing the water once or twice if it is very salty, or according to any cooking instructions. If you are using dried peas, soak them in water according to the instructions.

Put the ham into a large saucepan and cover with fresh water. If you are using soaked dried peas, add them now. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat until it is just boiling (simmering).

Put the lid on the saucepan and cook according to the cooking instructions on the ham. Remove any salty white scum, which will probably form on the surface of the water. Check the liquid level from time to time and top up if it starts to dry out.

Remove the ham.

If you are using fresh, frozen or tinned peas, add them now. Continue cooking until the peas are soft. Check the liquid level from time to time and top up if it starts to dry out.

If you have a food processor, put the soup in it and blend it to the desired consistency. If you have a hand blender, put it in the soup and blend it to the desired consistency. If you don’t have a food processor or hand blender, use a potato masher, press the soup through a sieve with the back of a spoon, or leave it lumpy.

Season with the pepper. Continue to cook for another couple of minutes.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

You can use dried, fresh, frozen or tinned peas. However, dried peas have to be soaked in advance.

Shred some of the ham and add it to the soup before serving.

Omit the ham and make pea soup.

TIPS

Pea soup can be any consistency from a thin liquid with soft peas floating in it to a thick paste you can stand a spoon up in.

• Ilkie
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I usually put it in a saucepan, bring it to the boil then drain it straight away. Then bring back to the boil in clean water, keep the water level high to cover the joint. Let it simmer. I usually give mine a bit longer, just to make sure its cooked all the way through.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.