DeeJ asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

What Do You Think About A Girl Playing On A High School Tackle Football Team?

Done laughing? Ok good. Let it all out before you answer with seriousness. And if you don't want to answer this seriously, or post rude comments degrading women... just don't bother.

Now. I've seen it done in movies, and heard of it in other states, but rarely. I really dislike flag football. I tried out for the girls team in middle school and found it was a joke. I've always loved football, and I really don't think I'm a bad player at all. I grew up playing football more than girl's basketball, actually. I always used to play with my guy friends, and they would use the rule "two-hand-touch" for me... I hated that too... it made me feel like I was being treated unequally. I can take a hit. Maybe not a 2,000 ton guy tackling me... but I can take it lol... I want to play a high school sport that I would enjoy. Basketball is too much of an issue at my school, especially with a douchesicle for a coach. I want some life experience. I already know that if and when I actually ask the coach if I can try out, I will probably get laughed at, my emotions will be stomped on, and everyone will point at me and say, "Is that a guy, or a girl?" I get it. I'm ready to take the hit. I have been knocked down before, twice as hard by other things in life, and I'm ready to suck it up and go for it. I also realize that I have a very very low chance of actually making the team. I really don't care. I want to try. Plus, I figure that I will get a great work out, and I need a scheduled work out, otherwise, I admit that I become very lazy about exercise, and that's no bueno. I'm not looking for a scholarship opportunity... It would be my last year of high school, and there's no way in hell I would get one anyway, unless I was a child prodigy in football lol. I just want opinions. Meaningful opinions. I can just imagine the "answers" I'll actually get for this question. Oh well, I'm trying here.

I never said I was afraid of getting laughed at... I said I was ready to get laughed at and I don't care lol...

Also... yeah I can understand the biology thing, but again, I don't think I can actually make the team... honestly, I'm in it for the work out and because playing football is so much fun.

My best position has always been WR, and I have really good hand-eye coordination.

But we'll see... I just want to try.

Thanks to all that support me =)

• Best answer

Why not? The Redskins, Giants and Eagles have girls on their teams and their semi-pro football.

Depending on position, a kicker or punter is a no brainer.

If you mean like a right guard, OK she can tryout. If she is better, she is better.

Unfortunately you run into biology there. Males generally are built, well, like linemen. There is a reason why

As a "skill" player, say a wide receiver or corner back, the defender covering the wide receiver, Speed, agility and ability to catch trump other more testosterone-based things. Still as she goes further up in skill from HS to NCAA to NFL the advantages of simple biology will tell. (Yes, because women have wider hips they are slightly slower than men, etc. Lots of overlap but we are talking top 62 or so in the NFL.)

Yes, further up is a concern for a HS player. Maybe not now, but by senior year.

If you mean pick-up games, sure. The girl could be a WR or running back. (Four yards and a cloud of dust might not be the best style. Outside the tackles stuff. Might make a good 3rd down type back.)

• Judith

Give ém hell, girl. If they can't find a spot for you as a WR, ask the defensive coach if you can try for a spot as a cornerback, or safety. If you can run, jump, have good hands, and can take a hit, then I see no reason why you wouldn't excel at either of those positions. If you get any hassles about it, sue the school until they give you a chance to prove that you're the best choice for the position. Go get ém.

The genes in a girl is just different from a man's. It's not meant for football. But that hasn't stopped the foreigners from trying hard and eventually getting into the professional leagues. You're not afraid of being tackled yet afraid of getting laughed at? You might as well quit now. I think I've made my point. You never know unless you try.

It all depends dose your school have a good team or a bad team. Talk to the players and look at them and see how big they are. If you work hard you can probably play with the guys at your school. I don't see how a girl can't play football if she's strong athletic sure why not go for it. Don't care about what every one says.

This is one of the coolest things i have ever heard I am about to go through the same thing you are. Well of course I am not a girl but you are going against the odds. I am from a small res school where no one went on to play college football but i have been given a shot and i will take it not let past.I think its cool that you are doing the same thing.hard work always beats talent, if you really want to play football do it and Sports are for fun anyways.

If you want to see video of dedication Watch "Rudy" You might like it.

I have seen this done. In fact there is a girl on the varsity team at my high school. She is not one of the main players though. She is a kicker and that is all she plays. She is a really good kicker. I doubt a girl could really become anything like a lineman or a linebacker though. Men are naturally stronger than women. This is not in all cases true but in general it is. That's just the way it is. I can understand that may suck but that's just the way it is.

• ICH8TE

I can tell you right now, that many men have a problem with women playing football period. Many don't even like women playing basketball. But you have to do what you want to do. You can't base your decisions on what other people think. There was a girl's football team on the news last week. I forget their name. But the reporter was saying that some of those girls were really good. And the girls talked about the criticism and funny looks that they get.

I play football and no offence to you or any other female but you are just going to get hurt. You will be playing with guys who have been lifting weights for 5 years and who will want to kill you. It is just something that will happen but sports are great so just suck it up and play another sport.

Source(s): Me.

Forget it. Play on the women's team. It doesn't matter how good you think you are, Men are stronger and tougher. It's just a fact of life.