Single Mothers all living together?

A while ago I heard of a thing where struggling single Mothers were arranging to live together in rented accommodation...it was a phenomenon noted by a social study that was made...basically three or four single Mothers, joining up to rent a larger house in a good neighbourhood near to good schools..which they could not have done alone...and then supporting each other with babysitting etc. I thought this was amazing...what do you think?

I am not a single Mother myself...I just thought that the idea of these women pulling together was cool...

It's like the human race adjusts iitself...so as single parents increase so does their coping mechanism....

• momof3

I did this for awhile when I was a single mother with my first daughter before I met my husband. It was a great experience and I made a lot of great friends and my daughter had kids her age to play with and we still all talk and have a wonderful play group that we have once a week. It is an amazing concept and so helpful.

• Vicki

I think it's a really good idea, if i were a single mother, i would love to know that i could always depend on someone else if i was in a tight stop. I know i'd never be able to afford a place if it weren't for my partner.

We've just had a rent a house out of the city because we couldn't afford anywhere in town, so i can understand why they'd want to do this from that point of view.

i think that is an amazing idea. the only issue i would have is making sure that if something like that was set up that the mothers should have a background check just to make sure that they are on the up and up. you have to be careful of people these days but other then that i think it would be a good idea. especially for those who have a hard time working, taking care of the kids and paying bills. especially today when the economy is so bad, mothers pitching in the help each other would be ideal i think.

Thats a brilliant idea so long as all of them have the same views.

I did see a programme on TV that had an example of this on BBC 3, except about 5 women lived together with their children and i think there was also a single father too.

• If I were a single mom and had a friend who was in the position I would definitely do the same thing. We could both benefit from the babysitting and meal sharing not mention splitting rent and utilities. It would work until one of us was ready to move out!

This is a complex question. You are going to have to get a copy of the forms you filled out for subsidized daycare and see if you still qualify or not. You are still a single mother as long as you are not married, but a single mother who is cohabitating may be treated different than one who is not. You need to look at the forms. I hope your boyfriend grows up and takes responsibility for his son. You should consider filing for child support from him, although this might drive him away. Definitely file for it if he moves out.

It is great if they could all work together. I'd be very nervous about something like that, it opens the women up to using each other.

I've heard of women locally who didn't make the news who would go out at all hours dumping their kids on their roommate(s).

i think it is a great idea there was a tv program about this a while ago i think it will give the parents support from other parents and give them some adult company as this is something alot of parents need well that is what i have heard

I couldn't agree with you more.. it is AMAZING!!! It is always a joy to see people trying to not only help themselves out but also other people that are in the same situations.

I think that is a wonderful idea and something that our world really could use right now