Why is holocaust denial illegal in Germany?

Surely banning something is only going to make people question it more...

Surely banning people from merely thinking something is against western principles of free speech...

Or is it only free speech if you think the "right" thing?

I mean, every other genocide in history is allowed to be denied-including the millions stalin killed, also, every other historical fact is allowed to be questioned in Germany EXCEPT the holocaust, why is this?

Why dont they want people to question it?

My opinion is that everyone has the right to believe what ever they want-no matter how offensive.

What do you think?

Your right sabrina.

Good question - it is great psychological manipulation, so we don't question anything that Israel does.

Thank you kind sir.

Because six million people died. Free speech is good but pandering to the lies of fascists is not free speech. By denying the holocaust they are trying to stir up dissent, they are trying to make fascism seem acceptable rather than the abomination that it actually was. If your so patriotic why do you deny something that hundreds of thousands of real British patriots died fighting against. Your not a patriot, you hate people who are different more than you love this country.

You won't actually deny the holocaust but you will say "it was exaggerated or only a few died."

Source(s): BNP Gold Member (If you paint cr*p gold it still smells of cr*p)

No, I think you'll find anything relating to Nazism is banned in Germany, not just Holocaust denial.

It's called not allowing anyone to forget that people are really blindingly inhuman when they want to be. Not even your own people.

Stalin, by the way, killed millions. This is not in doubt. The primary difference between Stalin and the Nazis is that Stalin did not set out with a purpose to kill all the people he felt were unsuitable to be left alive. He only killed those perceived, rightly or wrongly, to be enemies of the state.

The Nazis set out to systematically eradicate Jews, gays, disabled, Gypsies. Everyone not suitable to be a member of the Aryan Master Race.

Spot the difference there, my little Gold member chum? Not mentioning that anymore, I notice. Wonder why?

• Juicy

I lived in Germany for a while and I think it "should be illegal because of some of the German culture and mentally that is still present.

By the way, this is coming from someone who has a strong dislike for Israel.

I think Israelis are no better than the Nazis when it comes to what they have done to Palestinians.

Several Countries have laws forbidding misinformation. A man in England was jailed for writing that the Holocaust never happened.

Free Speech is a Luxury we all should fight to protect

They are so ashamed of what happened - it is a guilt response - a way of saying - we will NEVER hide or deny this has happened. By making it illegal they have put this into legislation to reiterate the point..and ensured no-one else will be allowed to either - by allowing denial theories it could be indirectly viewed as them condoning views like this and so undermine their assertion to always remember and acknowledge it.

There are many things even in countries where there is 'free speech' that are restricted - certain words, such as racially offensive or certain ideologies like those forwarding terror - and even in social contexts we all police our own speech such as not swearing or trying not to in a school playground etc

As I understand it people STILL have the right to believe what they want - just they do not have the right to try and encourage others to believe their delusions - imagine it was not the haulocaust but say paedophilia - there is a difference between someone believing it is ok and them trying to normalise that appalling belief for others...

We live in a society which is also civilised and sometimes therefore the rights of the majority, and the majority consensus must take priority over rights of minorities who are causing harm in some way.. to say it should be a free for all is to negate human nature.

Imagine if you allowed your child free reign at home - no rules at all - no routines, no limits. From day one he or she could do whatever they wanted - that child would become feral - same for society. IF we want to aim for a civil community then that means sometimes making choices which inhibit behaviour.. believe what you want but society does not have to say it is ok by having to listen to it.

Because the German government consists mainly of Jews.

I think you will find that many countries make it illegal to

deny the Holocaust. Which tells you some thing about their

Jewish interests Say what you like about all previous

holocausts, and there have been many,no one will say or

do any thing about it. But to deny what happened to the

Jews and its prison for you, so much for democracy and

freedom of speech .Here I am thinking that the last war was

all about democracy and freedom that really was a Holocust.

as

Source(s): Facts

they are trying to make up for hitler

its even illegal to do the hitler salute, the nazi symol is outlawed, and they have a complicated system of government that keeps radicalists from forming the majority government

they don't want another hitler

they can't stop what you think to yourself, but anti denial of this event, which, regardless of what you think they have evidence of people killed under hitler, so it doesn;t suprise me with what other safeguards they have up they choose this one too

i assume if you dont make beliefs public, what are they going to do, they probably don't want to hear it from a prominent person because they will be in trouble with the victims families, so thats why its illegal

if there's evidence it happened, then what's to deny?

isn't it just to discourage racial disharmony.

btw, being a nazi isn't outlawed in germany. it was for a while, but like you say banning it made it worse so they sort of tolerate it now.

nationalists are only ever pockets of crackpots anyway. best not to take them as seriously as they take themselves.

I don't think holocaust denial should be illegal in UK. As has been said, if people are that stupid that they want to deny historical events ever happened, why shouldn't they?

I'm not German - I don't have their perspective on the events of the 1930s and 1940s. So it isn't for me to tell them what should and shouldn't be allowed in their country.

It isn't illegal in Germany to believe the holocaust didn't happen, it's illegal to express that view publicly - slightly different.

It was part of the official de- Nazi the population plan that we handed back to the Nazis in 1947 in hopes they would do more or less what we told them to do