What are the advantages and disadvantages of using Wikipedia for research?

In your experience, what are the advantages and disadvantages of using Wikipedia for research?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

Anyone can edit it, so information on there may not always be accurate. Pages with lots of sources are usually more accurate. If you are unsure of something, I find that it's best to check and compare the information to another site.

• Bob B
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Advantages:

*Very quick and easy to find relevant information without trawling thorugh a bunch of google searches.

*Great for just finding out general knowledge or a basic explanation of something you need to know about.

*Normally explains the information in clear, simple terms to make it easy to understand even if you're not familiar with the subject.

*The best thing about using wikipedia for research is that most pages have sources which take you to other sites.

Disavantages:

*The information is not reliable as virtually anyone can go onto wikipedia and put up whatever they want. This means that people with no qualifications in a particular subject area can still write information about it, including a lot of people who really have no idea what is going on.

*Because of this, most educatoinal institutions don't accept Wikipedia as a reliable source.

As such, Wikipedia is great for finding out about things, but not so good for getting actual information you can cite in your research.

The sources you see at the bottom of the page are normally pretty good though, so it IS a good starting point and can point you towards some useful sites, books, etc.

• 1 decade ago

Well first of Wikipedia is a great source of achieving information. the problem that i see with it is a open source for people to input information which all of the information may not be valid.

• Lloyd
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Advantage:

Quick, useful information relevant to what you are looking for.

Typically non-technical writing style used to explain most

subjects.

Disadvantage:

Information can occasionally be incorrect.

Most colleges and universities will not accept Wikipedia

as a valid, reliable source for writing assignments.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

In my experience it is great for quick and easy research doesn't take long to find out about what your researching.

BUT Wikipedia is 100% reliable as anybody can edit the information and change it to a load of lies and then you won't have the correct information.

Source(s): Personal experience
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The advantages are that it is extreamly relliable.

On the other hand itis somtimes hard to get the info you want because of complicated or irrelivent information.

I hope this helps :-P

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.