How Far Back can the Tax Man Claim against you?

Looking back through self assessment Ive no confirmation of receipt of my forms in 2005, yet I've never been fined the £100 and I'm positive I did not submit them. I was self employed for 2 years and I'm sure it was the second year. I've also found out I'm being deducted from my personal... show more Looking back through self assessment Ive no confirmation of receipt of my forms in 2005, yet I've never been fined the £100 and I'm positive I did not submit them. I was self employed for 2 years and I'm sure it was the second year. I've also found out I'm being deducted from my personal allowance for sick benefits going back 4 years against a pension. I pay basic rate on my current job and all my entitlement is on my pension. I'm sure the year missed is negligible on any tax out standing but getting an accountant could be a real expense. Is there a limit on the amount of time the tax office can realistically go back into my affairs? I think the over payments amount to £3000 against my allowance.....
5 answers 5