Rob asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

Do women get offended when they hear men call each other "woman" or "girl" to insult each other?

Like if someone says "You drive like a woman", or "you throw a football like a girl".

That is an interesting question. I have always wondered about that too. Are these guys woman haters? Is it misogynistic to make being female one of the most contemptible insults? And if so, why do these guys hate women?

Not that I'd want to overreact or anything but yeah, it can be insulting. Edit: This is why it can be insulting: when men say it, yes they are insulting other men and not women. But the nature of the insult itself is at women's expense. If you tell a man that he does something like a woman or that he is acting like a woman and it's intened to be a putdown to the man, it by default insults the woman; it implies that men are better than women and that by acting like a woman, the man is reducing himself.

Yes, because it has a negative connotation, which originally stemmed from something very sexist.. but most of us don't get too offended, because if we do, "we are crazy feminists" and face even more scrutiny. Although, we do try to over compensate for our perceived shortcomings...it's sucks to be underestimated just because you have a vagina.

I imagine its the same for reaction for gay individuals, as their orientation has made it to the current vernacular as translating into something "stupid". It's pretty demeaning, although, it's so common that it looses a bit of its luster.

I really don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Something to think about: "girl" and "woman" are insults. "Be a man" is an exhortation to behave admirably. A "sissy" is not admired; a "tomboy" mostly is. And the worst insult for a man refers to a female's private parts.

I don't waste time getting offended. I point out the obvious, since you ask.

I usually hear it done in jest and amongst peers.. I don't typically get offended by it. It's a sense of humor thing and relative to the company you are in. I think that one should just be cognizant that in some cases it could be cast in a pretty derogatory way.

People who are aware of social issues do. So yes, I do get offended.

However, you must realize it is such a common expression most are desensitized to it.

For example, " omg that is sooo gay."

That can definitely offend people but most don't mean it in a negative way even though it is.

Hope that makes sense. :)

in general, i can recognize an insult like that as humorous.

but personally, i try to refrain from using such terms & terms that make men & masculinity seem like a negative thing as well.

No, because I say those things too to my dad and my brother. And when my mom gets frustrated and starts yelling, I just remind her that she's acting like a guy.

I don't get offended, it's just an expression and to be honest, girls don't throw well or drive as confidently... But I bet some shrieking feminists will find it extremely offensive and kick up a fuss.

*sighs*

Have people no real problems? If they had, they wouldn't kick off about something so innocuous.

It's just become a term that's used... I've even used it some. Kind of like the, "Oh my God" thing. I'm an atheist and I sometimes pull that one out.