Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

If you were to venture a guess; In 3 years (2011) who would win a "worst American president off all time" poll?

Typically Jimmy Carter wins hands down every time, but more and more people are becoming aware of Woodrow Wilson (started the fed, or "central bank").

Bush 43 was neck n neck with Carter a few months ago, but now that the lame-stream media has backed off, he's dropping from the national radar.

With the recent flap about FDR's policies actually worsening the great depression, a few diverted their vote to him, but not in great numbers.

The first black president (Clinton, not Obama) now seems more like a circus clown act, so he's increasingly marginalized as something less than a real president, and more just a guy who provided entertainment while the real power brokers pulled his strings.

Which brings us to the current administration, whose popularity poll numbers are dropping precipitously. Which is the reason I asked for a future projection 3 years out. Since deficit spending won't solve problems caused by deficit spending, is 3 years enough time for his rabid supporters to realize they've been had? Or will his charisma and chutzpah still be keeping the dogs at bay? How much failure is enough before the sea of public education indoctrinates begin to understand they've been brainwashed.

What's your projection, in 3 years who will the nation see as the "worst president of all time"?

A couple of well-informed respondents mentioned Lincoln. Very good! America's first dictator (signed the first executive order bypassing congress [and the rule of law]). Will Lincoln be seen for the tyrant he was in 3 years?

Favorite Answer

FDR or lincoln

• booM

This question sparked my curiosity-I looked at a few different surveys and found that there isn't much documentation to support the contention that "Jimmy Carter wins hands down every time." Here are some interesting results though-first, a Wikipedia summary of several polls:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_o...

Wilson and FDR consistently rank pretty high with FDR right at the top. So I doubt that the current crisis would affect their standings all that much in hindsight.

If you just look at Carter's lowest approval ratings, he still doesn't win 'hands down' as both Truman and Nixon had lower approval ratings.

Bill Clinton was never ranked lower than #24, even in the WSJ poll of 2000, and most recently was ranked #15. I'm personally not especially impressed with anything much lower than the top 10, but I don't see evidence of him being "marginalized." It is interesting that he and his immediate predecessor, George H.W. Bush, were pretty much neck in neck in the polls except in a 1994 Siena Poll, right after Clinton lost the majority in congress-and Bush, at that time, was ranked significantly higher. That would seem to indicate that for recent presidents, timing is pretty important-as you suggest.

The most recent Roper Poll doesn't seem to support your contention that Obama's popularity poll numbers are dropping 'precipitously' at all:

http://webapps.ropercenter.uconn.edu/CFIDE/roper/p...

So overall, I'd have to offer the opinion that your characterizations of the presidents you note in your comments seem conservatively biased. Obviously, there are also claims of liberal bias in many of the polls listed in the resources I looked at and I don't think anybody has come up with a final analysis that satisfies everyone.

I think-to address your questions though-in 2011 Bush, Jr. will be seen in a more favorable light once we get a little more distance from his eight years in office, but he will still rank low-possibly in the bottom 10. People may be more forgiving because of the unprecedented crisis that he had to deal with right after taking office as a result of 9/11 and that could help him out some in the rankings.

I think Obama will be judged in the context of the current crisis,, meaning that, like Bush, he was confronted early in his administration (in Obama's case, before he even took office) not of his own making. No doubt he is taking a huge risk by embracing Keynesian economic theory so heartily, but some economists are predicting that we might not see any kind of rebound until will into 2011 anyway-and if we are able to head off a depression by any means it will be a win for the Obama Administration. I doubt that-whether he fails or succeeds-he would be ranked all that unfavorably in comparison with other presidents until after his first four years are up.

I think in three years, we'll still see about the same group of worst presidents of all time as we do now, with both Bush and Obama ranking well above Nixon, who is consistently in or close to the bottom ten. And I think we'll see some similarities between Bush and Obama like we do with Bush Sr. and Clinton-at or about the same rank and trading places from poll to poll.

I thought Andrew Johnson was considered "the worst"?

Clinton was a popular guy and quite intelligent. I don't think W will rank amongst the best or the worst, though he did preside over a significant change in our isolation from the issues of global terrorism. Priort to Bush's presidency we were pretty isolated from those concerns. We were largely in the sea of Clinton era post coldwar.

We forget the challenges or lack of challenges each man has faced. Obama's big challenge has been the fallout from Clinton era (and Bush) China policy. He isn't up to the challenge, because he doesn't seem to understand the problem. You send a man from Chicago to Washington and you can expect "pork" and that's exactly what we're getting.

George W. Bush, no contest. The full ramifications of the current economic meltdown will be in better perspective and Bush will make Hoover look good. Bad economic policies, lack of attention to economic realities and general incompetence will all be a part of his legacy that will be looked at in greater detail.

Dude, who do you think?

Yeah Nixon had his troubles, but nothing is worse than what Bush did to everyone. Nixon was involved in suspicious business, but at least it didn't affect a lot of people's wallets and safety, unlike Bush.

And Bill Clinton? Who cares. He was good with money and kept America's economy running in mint condition. I can care less about his sex life...

All the preisdents during the slave era were of course terrible, but they didn't know any better. They were just stupid as far as ethics go. Bush knew what he was doing, and is stupid even by 19th century standards!

George Bush Jr. By the way, the FDR 'flap' about his policies worsening the depression was only spin created by the radical right. It's FACTUALLY incorrect.

I think it's pathetically funny how the looney right fringe is trying sooo hard to discount Obama after only 1 month in office. You need to be careful before the Republican party becomes a national joke...you're already on your way. Republican approval numbers are dropping fast.

George W. Bush, hands down. When has any other president started a full out war about something that didn't even end up existing (weapons of mass destruction). And his public speaking, are you kidding me?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3JdcnFZIJw

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

Watch this 32 second Bush speech clip about OBGYN lmao this is my favorite Bush moment, I think the shoes flying at him take 2nd place lol

George W. Bush

• momw

George Bush Jr.

I would vote for George Bush 43. He had the lowest approval ratings of any president and he waged an illegal and unjust war. Can't get much worse than that.

Bush

Source(s): Reality