Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why Orthodox priests disobey 1 Corinthians 11?

regarding long hair and hats during mass?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2185/1762892649_20f... , http://www.spraguephoto.com/stock/images/Macedonia... http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/R...

4Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head...7A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man....14Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him

Update:

yeah, I noticed about the jesus-is-savior site.Its kinda dodgy... I only used it for the photo.

Update 2:

Also, Orthodox women cover their heads in church, which is also commanded in 1 Corinthians 11, but the Orthodox priests ignore the commandments in the same chapter to them!double standard or what.

Update 3:

I cover my hair yes.Jesus though would have had short hair as he was a Jew.

Update 4:

*Tallulah* Leaping Water, would only the Corinthian church have to obey these commandments?Either it does not apply at all or it applies to all.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Kevin
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

Christians tend to take small verses out of the context it was written in, and try to put themselves and others back under the law which belief in Jesus abolished.

A good example of taking things out of context to support an arguement is the person who answered to look at verse 13 for support that it was an individual's choice.

In this case, the letter of Corinthians was written to address a particular abuse in the Corinthian church. You need to look beyond this, and find the spiritual meanig underneath.

And if you question the Orthodox Christians about this, we would need to also point a finger at:

1. Catholics. Why does the Pope cover his head (and the bishops) when he prays? Why do they have such ornate churches, against the commandment not to worship false images?

2. Methodists. Why do they support gay marriages?

3. Baptists. Why do they insist you are not saved if you are not baptised?

4. Pentecostals. Why do they say you are not saved if you do not speak in tongues?

And just so everyoen knows I am an equal opportunity criticizer, and simply pointing out some examples...

All Protestant churches also violate some "scripture" if you nitpick the bible out of context: allowing women to speak, women to sit with the men, women (and men) wearing earrings, women praying without covering their heads, eating forbidden foods, hanging out with undesireable people, not hanging out with undesireable people, judging others (including other Christian churches), playing music in church, not playing music in church, dancing, not dancing...

I always say that God made scripture a tad confusing on purpose, to keep us from falling back under the law.

The most important verse to keep in mind is John 5:24 "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life."

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • David
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Blind Didymus gave an excellent and accurate answer but there is also one more thing.

The Church is the Bride of Christ and as such is represented as a woman within the relationship between Christ and the Church.

The priest prays on behalf of the congregation and as such becomes the representative of the Church, being spiritually a woman in the corporate sense.

This is not ignoring 1 Cor. 11, it is understanding and practicing the true and spiritual message contained in it, in every context, and in the same way as was first preached by the apostles as Jesus and the Holy Spirit taught them.

Do a little study on how the original Church interpreted the scriptures and you'll find very quickly that the common western/ modern interpretations often differ to that of those the Bible confirms were inspired by the Holy Spirit, such as the early Church.

How many of these gatherings today that teach differently have

the Word of God testifying that they have the Holy Spirit guiding them, and ask which is the more reputable witness?

• 1 decade ago

Peace be with you,

St Paul speaks generally. Please remember that Jesus Christ has long hair too. So did plenty of other Jews of old such as the Nazarites (e.g. Samson the Judge of Israel, St. John the Baptist, etc) as Numbers 6 will confirm for you. Have you considered Leviticus 19:27 as well? It is one of the signs of separation from the world for the service of God.

In short, the priest's hat is as a crown and he wears it because he represents Christ the King in the symbolism of the Church.

May I please ask, do women cover their heads in your form of worship?

~~~

P.S. Jesus Christ has long hair. By denying this you show that you do not know what Christ looks like. Every Church on earth founded by an Apostle agrees on what Christ looks like and they all say He has long hair. Have the gates of hell/hades prevailed against the Church Christ established or was Christ wrong when He said they would never?

This may be a minor issue to ask such a question on but it is the root cause of your misunderstanding.

Source(s): Convert to Orthodoxy who was a Baptist. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Christ
  • 1 decade ago

Who decides what "long" means in that verse? Does it mean a mushroom cut as opposed to a buzz cut? Does it mean shoulder length hair as opposed to waist length hair? It's not appropriate to take it out of it's cultural contexts to support another agenda.

Either way, if you are going to take one thing from Paul's Letters, you have to take it all, including you being silent in Church. No picking and choosing allowed.

And jesus-is-savior is a cult website run by a Hyles-Anderson worshipping drone named David J. Stewart.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ;)
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Because it isn't a command !!

It's cultural - or customary.

It was never meant to be universal - it's written to the Corinthian church and has caused great contention in Christian churches.

If you read in context you will see Paul leaves the choice to the individual to determine what is appropriate: verse 13 *CHOOSE FOR YOURSELVES* - it's not a command - it's a custom of the area and the times.

Hope this helps

God bless : )

~~~~~

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The same way the rest of the churches ignore the ways of Paul. Paul is a idiot and you would have to be stupid to listen to his teaching.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago
  • 1 decade ago

but hair is natural, why would god give you hair if he didn't want you to have any?

• 1 decade ago

Orthodox have many many more mistakes than only that.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

biblical literalism is spiritual cancer

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.