Virgin Media Broadband Customers: would you recommend their L broadband?

I'm asking because in April our broadband contract with the Post Office will end. We live in a small village and because of this there aren't many broadband options open to us. Ones that are available are; BT, Post Office, Virgin Media, and I think that's it. We've been with BT and Post Office for the past few years and we're quite happy with them but they do tend to be quite slow, as we're quite far away from the "broadband exchange". Virgin Media have installed their equipment on our street and guaranteed us 10mb speed, in a letter they sent us. Should we switch to them?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

If you have the option of going with Virgin's cable service the I would say yes get it. I have been with Virgin for 14½ years when the original company was Telecential.

I went on fibre optic broadband from dial up as soon as it came on line in the UK and ADSL doesn't hold a candle to it.

I'm on the 10 Mb and I get a constant average of 9980 Kbps download and 480 Kbps upload 24/7/365. Because it is an independent system and different technology it is totally unaffected by the problems of ADSL.

The only trouble is because it's a lot faster the only thing is you have to wait for web sites to catch up. To give you some idea of the download time, I downloaded from Microsoft 275 Mbs in about 4½ minutes. Could ADSL do that? I don't think so!

I've got the Family Pack TV, 10 Mb broadband and the phone with free evening and weekend phonecalls for £40 per month with electronic billing which saves you another pound a month.

Source(s): Experienced1
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Virgin media is expensive compared to the general market.

I decided not to use them, as the speed (for me in a big city) was slower than my 25mb ADSL broadband via talktalk.

I pay (inducing my line rental and free calls eve & weekend £21 per month)

With Virgin media the same would cost more and be slower.

Another reason I decided not to use Virgin, is the customer service, the advisers are clueless, they did not understand basic terminology.

Also Virgin (after they took ages finding out) admitted the use 'traffic shaping'. This is not a good thing for the customer, as the last thing you need is Virgin turning down your internet speed whenever they feel like, just to cram more connection onto a already full capacity connection.

P.s The speed is not Guaranteed at 10mb, very very rare to get the max speed. Your more likely to get between 6mb and 8mb speed (slower when Traffic shaping is being used).

The letter you got is a lie, read the small print for the truth.

Anyhow, as you dont the the large section of provides city folk have, maybe its your best option.

• xenon
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It would be madness NOT to go with Virgin Media, Think about it, fibre-optic 21st centuary technology outside your front door..

BT bought the infrastructure from the government , and they had been operating since the 19 th centuary. All copper lines that in many cases were 100years old. technology was developed to piggyback on top of the old telephone lines, so it is really second grade internet access.

With Virgin you have 10 mb internet with free protection against virus, and other nasties, including free modem, free decoder for TV. telephone, and if you play your cards right, you can get a deal on their mobile as well. A complete package.

I have been with them for 10 years now

• 1 decade ago

I've been with virgin broadband for a couple of years (Tv, homephone, and broadband) and have no complaints to be honest. The broadband works absolutely fine, and the speed is very good. My hubby and i use our pc's on a regular basis, so we need a reliable broadband service. We've also had bt, and had problems with them because they dont mention the "hidden charges" and when you want to cancel your contract with them it is hell. They appear to do everything to tie you up in knots and make you pay extra charges to leave them, so i wouldn't recommend BT.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

the answer is "Yes", I have been with Virgin Media for the past 5 years and never have any problems with the service or billing much better then BT (or any other service)

once you have the broadband cable running in to your home you then can have digital television and telephone, pay one bill for all three services.

good luck

• 4 years ago

Yes i would defo switch to virgin, the internet with them is fast and they always have some kind of offer on.. so if u decide to switch to them, ask them what deals they have on at the moment cos they like to try and find you a deal o you stay with them.. also they send you a FREE wireless router too when u first sign up to them.. I have tele,broadband and phone for £30 a mth but at the mo they have it at £24 a mth.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

dont get BT, there very dishonist people, i signed up, but they didnt mention the extra £17 per month for line retail

• D G
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Go for BT

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.