Adam asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Is it ok for teachers to express religion and politics in class?

What do you think about teachers not expressing their opinions about politics and religion during class...should they

Favorite Answer

Yes, it doesn't effect me.

Especially in social studies, but then again most teachers are liberal so maybe not.

Source(s): Chief. RIP AMERICA.

To what end?

Why would a math teacher, a science teacher, a home economics teacher, a PE teacher, a history teacher or an English teacher have to express their views on politics or religion?

What if a teacher does express his views on religion "I am a born again Christian" and some student says "I am an atheist." How can anyone be sure that that student will not get a lower grade because he is "without God?" Or will the Muslims and Jews feel they need to keep their mouths shut so they do not get a lower grade?

Even if the teacher is teaching American Government, they should be competent enough to teach without interjecting their own personal views into it.

Unless the teacher is a college teacher. Then they can be a flaming liberal and everyone thinks it is all OK.

• cantcu

No, though their views are often translated into what we teach!

I know my children went to a private Catholic school and they taught religion.

I think it is hard to teach about the Crusades, Queen Elizabeth the I, Martin Luther, the Roman empire, without talking about politics or religion as both are generally pretty intertwined in history.

I guess you would prefer that we not teach them anything! One must have a political view if you are to put anything in context. School books sure do! And it is usually what they leave out, more than what they put in, that I have an issue with. It is there also I have issues with places like the misinformation network that helped lead us into the Iraq war and the Manchester Union Leader who are notorious for leaving stuff out so it appears to be something it really is not!

I personally don't think they should.

One of the most disgusting things that I have ever seen is the youtube video of the teacher browbeating a little girl who's father is in the military after she asked the class which candidate they supported. This little girl (the only honest one in the class) said McCain, and when asked why she stated because her parents support him. The teacher then went off on her, telling her that if McCain wins her father will be in Iraq for 100 years, and had the girl in tears.

That teacher, and others like her should be fired.

Politics is ok the school district usually allows that but the teacher shouldn't say vote for this person or do this but religion is not the same most school districts have banned that.

• ZCT

Religion specifically should be left out of the classroom, unless it is generalized discussion on various religions.

Politics are an important part of the country and the rest of the world, and should be discussed. But teachers obviously should not be preaching or telling students what political views to have.

I don't think that they should discuss their personal opinions about politics and religion in class. They're there to teach academic subjects, and to say the very least, discussing such private matters is unprofessional.

Well, if they express religion in class they will fired, but if they express politics in class, they will only be fired if it is conservative politics that they are expressing.

whale

No, they are not there to discuss religion or politics nor should they express their opinion about it while teaching.

The colleges have all gone socialist, liberal Democrat. They are not about teaching the truth. They are about teaching the lies that are socialism. That's what the teachers have had drilled into their heads by liberal educators- socialism. So, what do you expect them to rave about?

It is up to us (the parents) to make sure our children understand how to sort through information for themselves. Teachers should be allowed to express their views however it the opposite view should be presented also.