Did Yoko Ono "break up" the Beatles?

According to my father, Yoko wanted to control John, (for reasons). So in controlling John, Yoko broke them up. Is this true? Please don't say "No, she didn't." Please give me a reason. Thank you.

You know, I hate to hear people blaming a woman for The Beatles demise. If after all the time together on the road a coupla best friends couldn't deal with their band mate's chick then screw 'em. Honestly, John loved Yoko and his sons. If Paul, George, and Ringo were unable to deal with that then how was Wings appropriate later in life? I refuse to believe that an iconic band like The Beatles was unable to take "the pressure" of newfound love in their practice sessions. Plus "Woman", an all time fave of mine is a very nice piece of work post Yoko.... so John still wanted to create, and obviously Paul believed in band's w/ mates aka Wings...ya know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaLfDnShEn0

Youtube thumbnail

Any musician in a band knows that the main studio room is off limits to non-band members when recording. The control room is up to the engineer as well as the band, but that's an appropriate place for a girlfriend, parent, friend, whomever.

The very clear footage of Yoko sitting in on the Beatles recording sessions is OBVIOUSLY uncomfortable and anti-creative. It may have been Lennon's response to McCartney's control at times, since McCartney was the more socially acceptable, and Lennon was the real rebel. It's likely Lennon/McCartney would've split before long, headed towards 30, and the late 20s being a very emotionally volatile time, but Yoko being in the room with four guys who owned the world did not help.

To me, its amazing that either McCartney or Herrison stood for it at all, but contracts are contracts, and they were seasoned businessmen by then.

Lennon was vulnerable and Yoko manipulative, but they did seem to find lasting happiness. Sure, she helped break them up in a major way, but they were destined to stop before much longer probably, but who knows? A couple of years off, or if Lennon were alive since 1980, we might've gotten some more Beatles records.

Yes yoko did break up the Beatles she got a hold of John she wanted to be in control yoko is a selfish woman all she wanted was attention so yes she did break up the beatles

They broke up for the same reason they got together--they were all talented musicians interested in trying new things.

Yoko did have control over John, changing the way he felt about the Beatles and how he was "stuck with them", but she herself didn't actually "break them up"

A lot of stuff was happening around the time that they broke up and it all contributes I think. (death of brian epstein and trying to find the right manager, lennon's solo appearance at the toronto rock n roll festival which upset mccartney, the often contentious and divisive recording sessions for Let it Be, paul's solo album, etc.)

She certainly didn't help things. Her and John were basically attached at the hip and her presence and her influence on John certainly did become a substantial problem, but it was only one of many things. It was totally invertible anyways, but if I was going to pinpoint one happening it would be the death of Brian Epstein (and the vacuum it created). They held on for a couple years after it happened, but it was from what I understand, the biggest domino. Probably followed by creative direction and ego conflicts and then things like Yoko, although it has been said that she may have represented the biggest of the final straws.

************

As much as I'm definitely not a Yoko guy, I do think the fact that she is painted so much as the villain historically is very unfair. I think that it would have crumbled either way, she may have just poured a little gasoline on the situation.

I yield to Fonzie' answer. He knows his stuff...

John and Yoko relationship was one where a two people really "complimented" (eh...not "compliment" in the sense of giving praising or admiring, but like to "complimentary angles that together form a perfect 90 degree right angle) each other. He made his own decision to leave. It appears John was happy the last years of his life due mostly to Yoko. Isn't that a good thing?

yes have you ever heard the saying "your breaking up the band Yoko"?

she did want to take charge and the Beatles broke up in 1969.

then came the Plastic Ono Band (John and Yoko).

she has a horrid voice.

No she did not, the Beatles simply grew up and apart from each other into different directions,

But I agree with Homer Simpson, she did "ruin the Plastic Ono Band"

Nope. Macca was a control freak who was obsessed with perfecting everything to his standards. His bitchiness broke up The Beatles, but Yoko sitting in on every session and commanding John's full attention didn't help much either.

From my understanding about why The Beatles broke up, was because Paul wanted his father-in-law to control The Beatles legeal stuff while John and the rest of the Beatles wanted a person named Alan Klein to control it.

This was where the rift started. McCartney didn't trust Klein so he wanted Lee Eastman (Linda's father) to magnage them. The fight for control of the Beatles was really what broke them up in my opinion. It was John Vs. Paul because each one wanted to have control over the group.