Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

Washing machine washing with cold water only?

My washing machine has suddenly started washing everything in stone cold water (not even tepid) no matter what setting I put it on. The clothes are still coming out clean, but I'd prefer to have the option in the long term!

The property is rented and the washing machine is built in so I can't access the back of the machine or anything.

I think I need to call my landlord but I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions of how I could fix it without bothering him?

Also, I should point out that it is a washer/drier and the tumble drying setting is still heating up no problem...

Thanks!

PS: Its a Hotpoint BWD12 1200 Spin, if that helps anyone.

Yes I have hot water from the taps, everything else it working fine - central heating etc.

And no, I haven't put it on a cold wash haha, I've tried it on 40' and 50' washes, its still cold.

Favorite Answer

Its a cold fill machine so is unrelated to any house hot water in inlet mixer valve etc.

So the heating element is broke

The dryer element is different so woudl still work if the water element in the machine is gone

unless you are very proficient in washing machine repairs you will need to get someone in to change the element.

If your machine is finishing the wash cycle. ie wash/rinse/spin then you have no need to worry. Its probably the ambient temperature being so low at the moment that your boiler cannot heat it quickly enough for the machine to take hot water. Your machine has an internal heater, which heats the water to the correct temperature. The machine uses the internal heater regardless. This is for accuracy and of course safety. If the heater was faulty the machine would not get to the correct temperature. If the correct temperature is not reached within a certain timescale then most modern machines will display an error code. Older machines will just wash continuously because the thermostat will not have triggered the next part of the cycle. Sorry for the long winded answer, but my advice: wait until the weather warms up.

Source(s): Service engineer 20 yrs.

Make sure that the water fill hoses are hooked up correctly, not reversed. Verify that the correct temperature setting was selected. Your household water supply temperatures can have a very big effect on the wash water temperature. The temperature of the water can be influenced by the local climate, the room temperature where the hot water heater or washer is located, or by the thermostat settings of the hot water tank itself. You may have to adjust your hot water heater settings accordingly for the weather where you live.

If someone else is using hot water in the home at the same time, the washer may not receive the hot water it's calling for. The best thing is to make sure the washer is full before using hot water elsewhere in the home.

The hot selection on the control panel causes only hot water from the hot water heater to enter the washer, while warm is the hot and cold water from the house mixing in the water-inlet valve body. Cold is just the cold water from the house.

If your washer has a temperature sensor inside, you may hear the water-inlet valve opening and closing several times to ensure the water temperature is within the temperature range that has been selected.

If you have hot water at other outlets, I suspect that either your hot water screen is stopped up, at the inlet attachment for the machine, the water temp select switch or the water inlet valve is faulty. All these problems require you being able to access the rear of the washing machine to make repairs. Since you cannot access the back of the machine, you should contact your landlord.

Source(s): Personal repair experience.

Well it will work find to keep your clothes clean, you should buy Tide (detergent) Cold wash or any other brand it really does work. You will also save money because your using cold water instead of hot water. Hope that helped

They also have a water control valve I do believe. I tried to search the model number for a parts search, but the one you have doesn't show up on their list.

• xenon

UK washing machines work even when there is NO hot water available, so the problem is that your heating element has failed.

Source(s): Plumber for30years

It sounds like the thermostat may have gone, it happened to my last washing machine.

it is most likely the mixing valve is bad or the hot water line is clogged up where the hose hooks to back of washer.there is a screen type filter check that first but i am guesing mixing valve

Source(s): laundromat owner

it could be your boiler,do you have hot water from the taps? you have got it on the right setting and not on a cold wash.