Can my current employer legally request to see my W2's from my previous employers?

My current employer is a large bio-technology company that recently requested that all contractors submit their W2 forms for the three years prior to their current employment. That is to say, they want to see my W2 forms from before I started working for them. I'm guessing this is part of an audit of... show more My current employer is a large bio-technology company that recently requested that all contractors submit their W2 forms for the three years prior to their current employment. That is to say, they want to see my W2 forms from before I started working for them. I'm guessing this is part of an audit of contractors to see if they lied on their resumes about previous employers. Is such a request legal? Do I have a right to deny the request for my personal tax information?