Can my current employer legally request to see my W2's from my previous employers?

My current employer is a large bio-technology company that recently requested that all contractors submit their W2 forms for the three years prior to their current employment. That is to say, they want to see my W2 forms from before I started working for them. I'm guessing this is part of an audit of contractors to see if they lied on their resumes about previous employers. Is such a request legal? Do I have a right to deny the request for my personal tax information?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

no! it's none of their business! They have the right to your social security number. They can get quite a bit of Information based on that though. They can do a credit check.

Source(s): tax preparer
  • 1 decade ago

That doesn't sound like a reasonable request on their part, and I highly doubt you're legally required to provide them with such information. Your personal tax information has nothing to do with your current position at this company.

Have you asked any of your co-workers what they think about this request? Perhaps it is standard of this company, or perhaps there are others who are questioning it just as much as you are. Support from your co-workers could be beneficial in this case.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

It all depends where are you at? I know in California the only question the previous employer can answer is, if they would hire you again. Answering any other question is against tha law. I heard that from my previous employer.

• 1 decade ago

Yes - as long as you provide it. They cannot request it from the previous employer. You can deny the request and they can deny you the job.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No they can't request your W2s from previous employers.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

You have the right to deny them such info but, they have the right to not hire you.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They have the right to see if you lied on your resume. If you lied, expect to be let go.

• 1 decade ago

you have the right to deny them, and they have the right to not hire you...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can say no. However, they can terminate your contract.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you can refuse, and they can fire. ask them why they want them.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.