Christians, are you really so scared that atheists wanna take your god away?

Ok, that's not really my question. I asked a question yesterday about an item in the news: a nurse got suspended for praying (unasked) at a patient's bed.

I stated that a praying nurse at my bed would make me feel uncomfortable, because to me it would imply there was something horrible going on that the doctor hadn't told me about. I'd wonder why I was dying, when I only came in to have my appendix removed. I wouldn't be offended, I'd be uncomfortable. And scared.

Anyway, a number of answers stated that atheists are trying to take god out of everything, and that it would be horrible if even nurses get punished for simply praying. It's apparently an insult to freedom of religion to not wanna have a nurse scare the hell out of me by praying at my bed.

Sometimes I don't understand the answers I receive, really.

So, to make me understand the answers I got a little better, I wondered. Christians, assuming you're in a hospital to have your appendix removed (with freedom of religion in mind) which would you prefer:

A) A Muslim nurse at your bed, face fully covered in a burka, loudly praying to Allah for your safety

B) A nurse at your bed, with a voodoo-doll

C) A nurse at your bed, telling you right before surgery that she "really, really hopes you'll make it, because there is no heaven"

D) A nurse at your bed, telling you it will all be fine, because with the doctors you're in safe hands.

• Favourite answer

When I was as an Atheist I just shrugged off prayers.

Why anyone would get offended is beyond me.

But you make a good point. I could see why they would get worried. But I'd be more worried about my health than anything. I'd interrupt her and say "Um, can I talk to the doctor please?"

Maybe even "Nurse, isn't there something else you could be doing to comfort me before I go?"

Any of those would be fine really. It would not make me uncomfortable in the least because I know the truth and the truth has set me free. Did the nurse praying for the patient unasked step over a line, I would say yes. If she had asked before hand it would have been a different story, if she had asked before hand, was told no and did it privately later it would have been a different story. She crossed a line and deserved to be reprimanded for it.

A. I would appreciate her efforts and understand that she was doing what she thought was right. But I'd probably giggle while she did it.

B. Obviously not, because I'd assume that the voodoo doll was a representation of me.

C. I'd respectfully ask her to keep her opinion to herself.

D. Obviously, this is the most professional thing to do and the thing that I would be most comfortable with.

It goes without saying that any of the nurses in scenarios A-C could be seriously reprimanded if the patient wished to complain. You only pray with or for patients when they ask. Otherwise you are treading on dangerous ground.

Source(s): I work in a hospital.

All joking aside, I completely understand where you are coming from. As a child, I was brought up Christian and for many years believed that every action I made would cause my name to be written in a big book and the consequences would be dire. During this period of my life, I was the victim of horrible nightmares that I increasingly attributed to my "lack" of faith and display... Somewhere along the line, maybe a year ago, I questioned everything I ever believed in and began to study religion (Buddhism, Hinduism, and all Abraham religions). While studying these, I realized similarities in all of them. This is when it dawned on me that all religions are fundamentally similar, so I couldn't state that one was right over the other. With this realization, I simply began to view religion not as a needed force in ones life, but instead just an establishment that helps create social cohesion. This is when I became an atheist/agnostic, although I hate these terms because they are futile words that do not get close to explaining the inner workings of who I am. Anyways, after I came to this personal resolution, my nightmares disappeared and I have not had one since. I created this to loosing the fear "damnation". Now that I no longer judge myself for everything I do or say, thus ending much of my fear, I feel a type of freedom that was never offered by religion. You have nightmares of begin possessed because you fear it (period). Your mind is a powerful thing. You must except who you are and the reality around you. Do not look into fairy tales and make them real. You have to free your self from the torment of the unexplainable and focus on your true self and the physical world around you. It worked for me and with us being symbiotically connected, I'm sure it can work for you.

My answer for you is that you don't have to believe in God, he believes in you. It may be trite and over used, but it is still true so is applicable.

The nurse should have been praying silently enough that no one knew what she was doing. When you do spiritual things with the intent to call attention to it, it is not always a good thing. God hears silent prayers as well or better than the puffed up annoyingly loud ones (not saying that is what she was doing, I haven't read or heard the story)

Btw I have no beef with atheists----

Why should you be bothered by what others do to you, what you should be worried about is your state of sanctity, if you're going in for an operation you better be in good standing with GOD. I'll pray for you, and I,m not even a nurse.

Jesus : I am the way, the truth, and the life; no man comes unto the Father, but by me.

Shema Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength, and your neighbor as yourself.

Source(s): GOD

I am not scared of atheists at all...They will NEVER be able to take God away.....

I choose D) A nurse at my bed, telling me it will all be fine, because with the doctors you're in safe hands.....

I know I will be in safe hands...because God will guide the hands of the doctors....I don't care if the nurse believes this or not....I do!

If the nurse was Christian, then this is my answer:

Matthew 6:6 says "But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

This means that theres no need to show the person that youre praying for them. You can be on the other side of the planet, and God will still hear you. It is God you are praying to, after all. The nurse was looking for praise among men for outwardly praying. Surely she would have known its inappropriate to do such a thing in front of a stranger.

Sorry if this was jumbled.

D!!!! I'm a Christian with a different point of view concerning religion, but I don't believe in pushing my beliefs down other people's throats. I've had several Atheist friends and I never felt the need to "save" them. Religion is a personal choice. Prayer does not belong anywhere but at home and at church.

Source(s): Please don't say I'm going to Hell for my beliefs, people. Because, how do you know your beliefs are any more correct than mine?

Do you know, it just might be A with me. For this reason. You like to be in the hands of someone who actually cares. I had my first baby in a hospital, and oddly enough, the uncaringness stayed with me for longer than all the many mistakes they made, including having my stitches done with the wrong thread and the MRSA that I got.