Different types of assault/domestic violence?

My sister has been in an abusive relationship for awhile. Recently the guy beat her up pretty bad. He punched her in the face, the back, bit the crap out of her and threatened to kill her and her entire family. His actual words were "I'll cut you up into little pieces and throw you in the lake."... show more My sister has been in an abusive relationship for awhile. Recently the guy beat her up pretty bad. He punched her in the face, the back, bit the crap out of her and threatened to kill her and her entire family. His actual words were "I'll cut you up into little pieces and throw you in the lake." Anyway, she left him and called the cops. They took pictures of all her bruises and bite marks. He was arrested a month later. I don't know why it took so long. All I know is he is being charged with assault, but I'm not sure what type of assault. I was wondering b/c my sister went back to him shortly before he was arrested and now she is trying to get him out of jail. She tried to drop the charges, but they told her in Texas, where we live, it automatically goes to the state and there's nothing she can do. I want him to stay in jail as long as possible and try to talk some sense into her. His bail is $10,500 which according to him is over $8,000 more than the other people in there charged with the same thing. So she can't afford to bail him out, and now she's working non stop to pay all of his bills while he's in jail. Its ridiculous. He's got her wrapped around his finger. So I was wondering what level of assault this would be, and what his sentence will most likely be? Thanks for any input!
Update: we've tried two different interventions with her. she just got mad and left both times and didn't talk to anyone in the family for over a month. she says she knows she is being stupid, but she won't leave. shes 26 years old, we can't hold her against her will. we can't have her committed against... show more we've tried two different interventions with her. she just got mad and left both times and didn't talk to anyone in the family for over a month. she says she knows she is being stupid, but she won't leave. shes 26 years old, we can't hold her against her will. we can't have her committed against her will also, so what else can we do?